Sign in to follow this  
thinkingpencil

Printing to pdf

Question

Hello everyone from Macclesfield, UK! :)

I use VWX Fundamentals SP5 Build 150875.

Can't print to pdf from one collection of viewports which make up my drawing:permanent hanging; tried several different pdf apps. But another collection for drawing 2, different vports, prints OK. I can export 1 & 2 to .jpg as a work around. But I prefer the file size and quality of .pdf. All my other VWX files print OK. All comments welcome, thank you for reading.

5 answers to this question

To get PDFs from Vectorworks you really need one of the Design series modules that can do PDF exports properly, they have a dedicated plugin for it as opposed to Fundamentals. File > Print > PDF is built into the OS and you have almost no control over it.

Thank you Jim. I will upgrade. (About time!)....

....I since analysed my VWX file after failing to print to paper too. One part of my drawing had an unusually high number of objects by a factor of 100's. Turns out I misused the "Move by Points" tool in "Distribute" mode. So I had many many overlaid instances of the same line ( whilst drawing bed joints in masonry ). Obviously my hardware and pdf software couldn't handle this absurd number of objects hidden in an apparantly simple drawing. Maybe just stick to duplicate array in future?! Or learn to use the freaking tools properly.

Edited by thinkingpencil

Upon rereading my post, I'd like to clarify to save your wallet: You don't need the full Designer package specifically.

ANY of the smaller packages, Architect, Landmark or Spotlight would include PDF Export.

Edited by JimW

Thank you again Jim. I really appreciate your time. As you can see I have just edited my first reply, having understood and solved the problem in a calm moment off the timesheet. Off to celebrate with Bourbon now (its 22.53 here way back East).

This is a great piece of free software rather than printing from VW direct we publish pdf and then drag them all to this and they spool very quickly to the printers.

From VW the prints seem to hang for a wile and take ages to get to the printer.