Exit text => selection tool

scheven_architect

Question

9 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

If that were the default, then during the creation or editing of multiple text objects via the text tool (a common occurrence) you would have to re-active that text tool for each subsequent text object.

I see that as convenience for a specific circumstance but more often a hindrance.

Not really, with the selection tool activated you can double click and edit text. After hitting escape you are now using the text tool although before you weren't, if you click somewhere now that creates another text box which wasn't the intention. It would be different if you activate the text tool, make a text box with some text, hit escape and then go on making other text boxes.

Bruce and Kevin: I have that in as a separate request now for pretty much any tool. Tapping X twice to return to Selection makes sense in many scenarios, but as stated earlier in this thread and elsewhere anything involving text editing makes the X shortcut useless as you just end up ending withxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Yes I understand, that's what I was trying to convey. That pressing X twice DOESN'T work in all scenarios so the ESC is a much better choice.

Apologies if I wasn't clear. I've been nose down in video editing software for the last two months and my eyes have yet to re-adjust to the harsh light of day. :crazy: