Archicad /Vectorworks Pros & Cons

I am an Interior Architecture Student trying to decide on which package to go with" full blown". I was wondering if any of the veteran VW users can tell me what the pros and cons (limitations) of VW vs Archicad are. Price is not an issue here . The student version of archicad was only $99.00.

Thanks.

VW 10

New Pwbook G4

1 ghz & 1gb memory [Confused]

Like Ola, I am looking into our first 3D package (moving from Microstation). We draw residential homes exclusively. A residential-tailored program is a must. We want linked elevations and sections, as well as framing, takeoffs, window schedules, and the like.

Any advice between ArchiCAD and Vectorworks? What about Softplan? Anyone ever looked at Revit? Revit is linked like you wouldn't believe!!!

• 15 years later...
On 1/2/2003 at 8:02 AM, KHStemen said:

Like Ola, I am looking into our first 3D package (moving from Microstation). We draw residential homes exclusively. A residential-tailored program is a must. We want linked elevations and sections, as well as framing, takeoffs, window schedules, and the like.

Any advice between ArchiCAD and Vectorworks? What about Softplan? Anyone ever looked at Revit? Revit is linked like you wouldn't believe!!!

Great question.  I'm in the same boat wanting to move away from CHIEF ARCHITECT in favor of a program that makes sense to me. However, an Architect friend that uses Chief is doing so main because his Builder client had a bunch of plans already in Chief and likes some of the features.He also echos my frustration with its weaknesses and other issues. I design both NEW and REMODEL designs of Beach houses at at built on Pilings so your typical Post and Beam, Mono slab are not used. Long Story Short, It's a Love Hate relationship between Chief and Me. He has experience with REVIT, ALLPLAN, ARCHICAD and VW and based on the total picture of features for Residential design, and if he could choose only one package to work in it would be VW. What I can tell you about Revit is Wood Framing and Residential home is all MANUAL unless you buy and package plug-in like StrucSoft MWF Pro Wood. As for VW and AC, I am only checking out VW right now and have not progressed that deep into the Getting Started Guide. 

Hope this helps!

Maybe over simplified but from what I've seen...

Vectorworks lets you get going on less information and present that information at every stage. Con isn't as helpful with automated tools. So as you get more advanced you'll find yourself resorting to modelling by raw objects much sooner.

ArchiCad (at least from discussions with users and training) has a much higher overhead of information it needs before it'll produce something useful but the build in tools will take you further and have much greater flexibly.

If your a student then use many. Or look at the companies you want to work for and see what they use.

All software have ups & downs. On this issue, as with many VW issues, I'd defer to Jonathan Pickup (http://learn.archoncad.com) when he says in a recent post on the subject:

"To enter dimensions in meters in ArchiCAD, you have to set meters as the working units. I really miss not being able to type in “3m” for 3 meters, or "10’" if I want the imperial equivalent. Oh—and you can’t use mathematics in dialog boxes. No more + or - when putting in the sizes. When using ArchiCAD, keep your calculator handy.

So, is ArchiCAD better than Vectorworks? "Yes" in some areas, but "no" in other areas. Mainly, it is just different, but leads to the same result: creating drawings of a building project. Vectorworks is miles ahead when it comes to landscape, entertainment, 3D modeling, and 2D details."