Database Worksheets Combing multiple Records

I have a group of Record formats (R2Q-1, R2Q-2, etc), all with the same field information (qty, Part Name)

The symbol set i am working with needs more than one record attached to them ex (RQ-1 = (1) Bolt type, RQ-2 = (2)Washers, R2Q-3 = (1) Nut Type). I would like to create a worksheet that will list all of the Records attached (Column 1'R2Q-1 thru 'R2Q-x'.'qty', Column 2 'R2Q-1'.'name' thru 'R2Q-x'.'name', etc) in the same works sheet to get the total count of all parts associated with the symbol. What is the proper syntax to make this column work? Is this even possible?

TIA,

Jeff Miller

Not possible as a straight worksheet that will automatically update.

You could do a Vectorscript that could go through the selected objects and store the information in a worksheet, but you would have to rerun the script every time you made a change and needed it to update.

Could you possibly attach the records to sub objects so that each object has a single record attached? Then you could set up the criteria to look for the records and use an OR statement to get the values.

Or better yet, can you use a single record format and add an extra field to store the data the is currently represented by the separate record formats?

I was afraid you were going to say that.

I need to write a comma based text export so that a rental inventory database program can read all the elements from the VectorWorks file. I can only write (2) fields (quantity & ItemID) to this file. I am working with many types of symbols including Spotlight items. Most of the symbols have 1 data field, but many require multiple fields. Spotlight instruments will need multiple fields (body type, lens type, bulb type, etc). Other objects required a part number & a group of associated hardware. I'm wondering if it would be possible to have one record with multiple fields (qty-1, id-1, qty-2, id-2, etc) that i can attach that would write only (2) fields of output to satisfy the Database requirements. Sounds like a Vectorscript (that would need to be user updated) to me. Any thoughts? I'm ok with scripts & worksheets just looking for a guru to steer me in the right direction before I pull all of my hair out going down the wrong path. I guess some would say that's the fun of VS.

Jeff