site model question...

Hello

I have a some three d contours which I have taken from a dwg survey file. The file had 2d poly lines and polygons which I converted to 3d polygons and assigned and elevation to. I simplified the 3d polygons but they still appears to have way to many vertices.

Any ideas... the file for this image which only contains the 3d polgon contours is 11.5 mb.... what is that all about? Anyways these contours will not create a site model, it stalls very time regardless of settings. I'm at a lose as how I can simply this further???

One note is I took the original file, highlighted all the contour lines and used duplicate then pasted it onto a new class so I did not mess with the original.

Are all the contour lines continuous i.e. no segments/properly composed

Are there any duplicate contour lines lurking on top of the originals?

Tried deleting a contour (or say 5 contours) and then create site to narrow down which one won't allow the site creation?

Using polygons tends to blow the file size away. I often tend to use stake objects instead and place them around the polygon and convert the stakes to site model. But looking at your site that may be too tedious..

Hi Kizza

You can see where the issues lie in the attached image. The highlighted 3d polygon has over 13,000 vertices... others are similar so what now. Trace over and start again? Or perhaps I could duplicate the original survey contour lines and covert to 3d loci instead. Would that use less resources?

Kizza...that was a fascinating thread thanks... Benson had a great idea which I was going to try but did not need to. Peter thanks for your idea... I realized that I made a mistake in the earlier attempts to simply the 3d poly. During the initial attempts I did not select an alternative layer to place the revised contours on... they ended up on the same layer and when I reselected the new and old contours to create the model the situation was worsened... I separated them in the last attempt and it worked well. Thanks all.