Auto Hybrid - Simple Outline

Kevin McAllister

Question

I wish there was an option to create a simple outline using the Auto Hybrid. (Imagine dragging around an object using the polygon lasso mode and getting a single filled shape). Often things want to be simplified on a plan and I don't need all the extra lines. I would like this option for the entire Auto Hybrid, or for things above or below the cutting plane.

A simple workflow example would be when I want to indicate a chandelier overhead. The chandelier is a 3d model. Right now I make a hybrid symbol and draw a simple 2d outline. What I really want to do is make it an Auto Hybrid and use it to indicate objects above the cutting plane. But I don't want every bulb, I just want the outside outline of the object in a dashed hidden line way.

Kevin

Edited by Kevin McAllister

9 answers to this question

Yes, the Auto Hybrid needs more work. I like this idea of an outline.

I think it would also be more efficient to view the object in 3d (say isometric) and drag on sliders to set the three view options. I spent a lot of time last project guessing at what the cutting plane was, guessing at how far I should view objects above and below....This needs to be real time and interactive.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I think maybe a step further and just have a "Simple Outline" or "Exterior Only" mode of all locations where Hidden Line is used, not just in Auto Hybrid.

In some situations, altering the smoothing angle in Line Render Options lets you achieve this look, but having it available as a simple checkbox would be much better, thoughts?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

1) interactive editing of auto hybrid cut planes, similar to the UI for clip cube.

2) Outline Only mode for Auto Hybrid objects, or another method of controlling the complexity of the linework other than smoothing angle, to allow for varying degrees of outline detail.

Submitting now.