Replacing Line Types

bjoerka

Question

I trying to find out how i can replace "wrong" line types that are imported from dwg files or other vw versions but can not find a solution except using Custom Selection.

In VW2011 (which we used until 3 weeks) it was possible to edit the line types and while deleting one i was prompted to choose another one for replacement.

In VW2014 line types that are used can be deletes in the resource palette and are automatically replaced by a continous one.

Do i miss a tool?

Thanks for any help.

Bj?rn

13 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Are you importing directly into your current working document? I believe the correct way to get away from these line types is to import the DWG into a new blank document, then either copy or layer import the imported information into your file, at that point your lines should override theirs.

If that is not the case, or if I misunderstood the problem, let me know.

Edited by JimW

I've also hit upon this actually in v2014, it seems that renaming and deleting linetypes really messes things up (if i'm not mistaken previous versions at least kept track of linetypes in a better way regardless of their name and number). I made some changes in my template where i removed a few line types and renamed the remaining ones and now all files from older versions and my imported classes from previous version no longer show the correct linetypes?!

Edited by Vincent C

we are currently only referencing dwg?s. when we import dwg?s we do it like you said - intoa new fresh document.

but anyway - as we updated our vw2011 versions to vw2014 we have a lot of drawings where non standard vectorworks dash styles are inside. and we have to work with these drawings.

some people here did not follow the rules how to import and clean a document after imprting dwg files. so we are carrying many dash styles from one drawing to another by copy paste and so on.

As you suggested with referencing and importing geometry it is not like you described. After copying or deleting a reference (keeping the drawing in my file) i also import the dash styles that are defined in the non worling document.

in vw2011 it was easy to clean up non vectorworks dash styles like i described above.

no way to do it in vw2014 in a similar way?

hope you understand what i mean...