3D objects as site modifier

There was a post where someone, I think Tasmin, said that you can use any 3D surface to be used as a site modifier only by setting it's class to a certain class. This works, but it only modifies the new terrain. I want to alter the existing terrain instead. Is there another class to do this?

EDIT: I need this because we got the existing terrain, then we got the roads we need to put in the file that will alter the terrain. This is our existing terrain where we will alter it to the new one to build on.

Edited by DWorks
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Thanks Christiaan!

Dworks, what kind of geometry have you used to create your modifiers? There isn't a magic class that will do this, but you could convert the geometry back to either 3D Polygons or 3D Loci, right-click on the model and choose Edit Site Model Source Data. Then, paste these modifiers in place. Click Exit Site Model Source Data, update, and they will change the existing site for you.

Hope that helps

Question for DWorks: Are the roads part of the original topography/3d polys? If so you can use a Texture Bed(s) for the actual road surface. If not, perhaps you want to add the roads (as you said above) then extract the 2d Contours, then use those to create a new Site Model (in which the Roads would be a part of the Topog)... It would require an extra step, but might give you what you want...

If not, perhaps you want to add the roads (as you said above) then extract the 2d Contours, then use those to create a new Site Model (in which the Roads would be a part of the Topog)... It would require an extra step, but might give you what you want...

I could try that. Taking the 3D polygons the DTM creates and make that the base for a new DTM.