Switching from top plan view to 3D view

Christiaan

Question

I'm sure this has been mentioned elsewhere but it's such a huge annoyance I'm sure more mentions won't hurt.

When I'm working in top plan view and switch to 3D I want to be able to grab the 3D Flyover tool then click and drag to whatever view I'm after. In doing so I want VW to:

1. Default to Open GL, until I tell it not to.*

2. Default to perspective, until I tell it not to.*

3. Centre on whatever I currently happen to be looking at in the window. If the objects don't happen to be located at the origin of the page I want VW to work this out and offer an appropriate perspective at an appropriate distance, centred on the objects, not miles away off at the origin of the page.

* By default I mean when you pull VW out of the box it's set to those settings and never changes until the user tells it otherwise, after which VW sticks with the new settings until the user tells it otherwise... and so on.

10 answers to this question

Simple and efficient > I knew there was a working irritation there but just could'nt put my finger on it.....

In a similar vein (Default Preferences) although concerning a different process.

Might I suggest a similar ability to set "Default Preferences" for returning to Layer or Screen Plane when switching back to a Design Layer from working in a Sheet Layer Viewport.

IE - An external setting to tell VW I want to return to working on Layer (or Screen ) Plane on the Design layer.

At present the fixed default is to retain the (Sheet Layer) working Screen Plane..... Which can be very irritating and messy when missed.

Just to drive the point home to NV. This is a draft site model, currently made up of planar objects and a viewport of one of the building models. The first image is an orthogonal isometric. The next is a perspective. And this is with everything centred on the origin of the page (which I'd prefer not to do). After a lot of mucking about with setting perspective distance (which resets the perspective window each time) and Walkthrough and Translate Views, I'm managing to get something like the third screenshot, but my planar objects aren't visible now.

As an Artlantis user this kind of thing is simply madness. No one's got time for this amount of view micro-management. If you want people to use Renderworks instead of Artlantis then kind of thing has gotta go.

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=6632&filename=1.png

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=6633&filename=2.png

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=6634&filename=3.png

i get a similar "View Screwups" sometimes when exiting an Edit Stage where the set views become mixed. Although not as bad as these Screenshots . . . .

Left Isometric is Rear Right Iso(i think)

Front View shows what i'd expect from a Left View

Plan shows what should be Right View . . . . .

Doesn't always happen, but when it does, only Undo solves it. Obviously there are still lots of Bugs in the Layer/Screen Plane hoohah