Can't figure out data bar...

KGDJ

I'm having a hell of a time trying to sketch a hockey arena in this program...I could have been done it ten times over in ACAD, solidworks, etc.

Anyways, I can't seem to get the stupid floating data bar to work. I press tab to access it, then type in the dimensions I want, but it doesn't produce an object of those dimensions. Instead, the numbers just lock on and I can still manipulate the object.

For example, I need to draw the players benches, which are roughly 8' on the outside. So I place a wall, press tab and then 8' in the +Y dimension (as I have X as the length and Y as the width), but when I hit enter, it will just draw a wall to wherever my mouse was sitting when I hit enter.

Any ideas?

The Wall width is defined by the Wall Style selected or if it is an Unstyled Wall by the Wall Preferences dialog box. The Wall length is defined by the L field in the Floating Data Bar. Therefore set your required Wall width using the Wall Preferences dialog box and then use the L field in the Floating Data Bar to define its length.

X and Y in the Floating Data Bar define the current cursor cartesian coordinate location relative to the current Working Plane origin. See Help for more information.

Man, these boards are full of Canadians (and Aussies) !!! :grin:

You can also draw a rectangle at the correct size, then go to:

AEC>>Objects from Polyline, then choose wall, and your offset type (whether inside, outside or centre relative to the rectangle's line)

You will need to have your rectangle selected for this method.

You also need VW Architect for this method also.

Maybe the dbl click to complete the object is missing?

Wall Tool with floating data:

Click to start the wall, key in the L value.

Press Rtn to lock the L value, drag (or key) to desired angle

Dbl click to complete the wall - pointer can be anywhere on the angle extension line. does not need to be on the wall endpoint.

Or

Draw or paste any sized/style wall object anywhere in the drawing, enable the selection tool (press x), drag wall to position and adjust OIP fields for Style, LWH and ? and Z, etc. Also helpful are Move command, Move by Points tool, Reshape tool, and many others.

HTH

-B