rendering keep shuts down the computer

hi i was wondering if anyone can help

recently my vectorwork rendering starts to malfunctioning

whenever i try render bitmap it will sometimes render fine but some other times eventho im rendering the same thing it rendered well before it will just shut down the computer.

im not sure whats wrong with it, the file doesnt seem to be corrupt, as i tested if other computers can render (took the file to uni and rendered it on the uni computers and they all rendered fine)

i ve just formatted my computer and reinstalled window and new version of vectorwok (2012) and its still having the sam problem of pc switching itself off in mid render.

also vectorworks running really slow and jittery as well

every single action happens few seconds after

will be great if you guys could help.

spec for my compouter

window7 proffesional

amd phenom 9550 quad core processor 2.20ghz

4gb ram

64 bit operating system

uses vectorworks 2012

Sounds like your computer has a hardware problem that rears its ugly head when the computer is stressed. Likely to be memory or CPU rather than something like graphics card, or maybe some form of thermal malfunction.

Suggesting running a diagnostics program that will stress the hardware.

Also, did you ever see it shutdown and if so was it the bsod? You can also look in the event log files to see if anything odd is in there.

hi

oh i really hope thats not the cause of the problem.... i really dont know anything about computer n computer hardware....

i jsut sort of opened the computer up and hoovered out all the dust, someone said it might be due to over heating

how do i test and dignose which hardware is the cause of the problem??

also when it shuts down it just shuts down all of a sudden. no blue screen or not responding. just shuts down in mid-render

ps when i was hoovering the computer i pulled out big fan on the mother board (not quite sure what it is so ill describe it, it was a 6cm x 6cm fan on motherboard and i lifted it up to suck out all the dust and underneath that fan theres a silver chip thingy which i think is the processor. and in between that chip and the underside of the fan theres some weird grey stuff which looks like a thin layer of plastic is melted there....

thanks for your help

strangy thing is everything else works perfectly fine like photoshop, call of duty, autocad etc. its jsut the rendering work thats making my computer to shut down. so i dont think i fried anything... altho yes that molten plastic sandwiched between the cpu chip and its cooling fan is a bit dodgy...

i just did a complicated render with my coputer opened up on my desk full ventilated. and it successfully rendered it.

does this mean its because of over heating???

also vw2012 is still running really slow and lags alot, takes

few seconds to actually clock and draw a simple rectangle.

shall i just downgrade it to 2011? because it didnt have that problem on 2011 (tho it was running on vista ultimate 32bits then. i have now upgraded to window7 and vw2012)

thanks for your help guys much appreciated. keep them coming please!!

Can I politely suggest getting a friend or colleague (or a PC repair shop) who knows what they are doing to try and sort the problem.

It sounds like by "jsut sort of opened the computer up and hoovered out all the dust" you probably caused all sorts of problems, especially with the CPU heatsink/fan when you "lifted it up to suck out all the dust". That would be the critical CPU cooling fan and by dislodging it and revealing "some weird grey stuff which looks like a thin layer of plastic is melted" you have damaged the cooling of the CPU. NB the "weird grey stuff" is a thermal compound which helps create a good thermal bond between the processor and the heatsink/fan. It needs to be applied carefully and thinly otherwise the thermal characteristics of the CPU/heatsink will be affected which I suspect is what you have done.

The cooling of many PC's are designed to work efficiently when the case is closed. Running with the case open will affect the flow of air through the unit which may reduce air movement over critical parts which will then overheat.

As for why rendering is causing the problem and things like "photoshop, call of duty, autocad etc" do not is that rendering is highly CPU dependant and will continuously stress the CPU and memory for extended periods of time.