Gabled end wall question

Hi all,

I'm a light user here, usually only need to draw a regular height wall for most of my applications (kitchen design). I now need to create a gabled wall and I'm having trouble figuring out how to do so. I did a search in wall help, found how to create a wall from a polygon. When I draw an outline of what I think I need it does create a wall but with regular height walls as if the polygon were an outline of a room, not what I need. My question is, how do I draw a polygon that will create a wall with a peak, just like in a catheral room? How do I draw a polgon,polyline that when i go to create a wall, it does so as I need it.

Thanks for any help or direction to an appropriate explanation.

John

John, The draw wall from polygons is for PLan View (ie: you draw the footprint and VW's turns it into walls). For a Gable End Wall there are a couple ways to go: the easiest is to Create Roof, then click on the little blue handle at the side of the roof you want to be a gable end, then choose "Gable" from the ensuing dialog. By default Vw's will create a gable end wall (as part of the roof object) at al gabled ends. This can be turned on/off in the OIP by checking/unchecking "create gable end walls". The second way to do it is to create a wall, then go to a side view and double click on the wall which will invoke the 3d reshape tool. Make sure that the reshape tool is in the "+" mode (add vertices) and use it to drag a new vertex from either corner, up to the top center of the desired gable. With this method it is helpful to define the tip of the gable in advance thereby having a known snap-able point to which to drag (awkward english, sorry). Hope that helps...

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your reply. I did some more research since posting and I found the 3D reshape tool. So I drew a wall and tried to pull from the center of the wall up to height, but seemingly you can't do this? I then drew a half wall and pulled up one corner to height and then copied and flipped so I now have 2 sections creating a wall that I need.I then went to 'add solids' and it did create the wall I wanted. My only problem now is that the wall in the OIP designated as a 'solid addition' and i can't seem to join the walls at corners etc. Is there a way to change walls to be classed as walls?

John

Hi John,

In order to add a vertex, you actually have to click on an already existing vertex (in your case, that would be the top right or top left of your initial wall when viewed from its side). Hold the cursor over the corner until you get a "double-diamond arrow" icon, click, then drag away from the corner. As long as your 3D reshape tool is in the "+" mode as Peter indicated, it will create a new vertex that you can drag to wherever you want it. Click again to establish its desired location.

HTH

Eureka!

I finally figured it out how to use the 3D reshape tool. That you can drag the corner to the center and input Z height for peak and get the wall I want. I was only dragging corner vertically, duh.

Thanks for all the great help. I don't usually need roofs, but the walls from roof sounds like a good solution as well.

Take care,

John

With the walls to roof tool, the roof only needs to be temporary in order to draw your geometry. In fact, it does not necessarily even have to be a roof, it could be any 3D geometry on another layer (which can also be temporary). So a gable wall would be one of the simplest of outcomes, but more complex top AND BOTTOM of walls can be accomplished. YES!!! Even the bottom of the walls can be fitted and reshaped using this method.

The thing about 3D reshape, is that it is more tedious. Especially when a much more complex shape is involved.

Eureka!

I finally figured it out how to use the 3D reshape tool. That you can drag the corner to the center and input Z height for peak and get the wall I want. I was only dragging corner vertically, duh.

Thanks for all the great help. I don't usually need roofs, but the walls from roof sounds like a good solution as well.

Take care,

John