Merging Viewport Visibilities

Hey all,

I was asked a question by a colleague today that I didn't have an answer to and thought you all might.

If I have a viewport and it has (as an example) 12 layers visible. I then import something from Autocad and this places another 50 layers in my drawing. I go through these layers, turn some on and off and find what I need. Is there a way to merge the active layers and the layers I already have active in my viewport without writing them down and then turning them on/off manually? Over several viewports this could be ridiculously tedious.

J

Check out the eyedropper tool for transferring layer and class visibility from one VP to another. Maybe you could create a new VP from a view with all desired classes and layers activated, then eyedropper that to your other VPs.

What you suggest looks like a wish list item: Activate a bunch of classes or layers in the Nav Palette, Select, Paste that to a VP visibility list.

-B

Is this what you are trying to do:?

1. double click on the viewport tab in the navigation palette

2. Click the visibilities button in the top right

3. In the left column select all or a range of viewports

4. Set the layer and class visibilities for those viewports

5. Click OK

It's not a "set viewport visibilities to current visibility state" command, but it does fix all the viewports you want in one procedure....

Thanks Benson and Michael,

What you've described Michael is a handy layout and approach to viewport management. The feature that I was more looking for would be to merge or add to an existing viewport. I'll alter your list to try and make my idea clearer.

1. Double click on the viewport tab in the navigation palette

2. Click the visibilities button in the top right

3. In the left column select a viewport or saved view

4. Click copy visibilities

5. In the left column select all or a range of viewports

6. Click merge visibilities and have a dialogue which asks if you want to add only, overwrite conflicting values, or solve conflicting errors.

7. Click OK

That's kinda my thoughts.

J