confirm panorama bug

can anyone else confirm that the Quicktime VR panorama does not work on VW 2011 (Mac) ?

I've tried it with different settings, from a VW 2010 converted file and a newVW2011 file, using RW final. In each case, it seems to work, but when I try to open the file and view it, I get a dialog box that says "The movie could not be opened. This file is not a movie file."

Using Mac OS X 10.6.2 on an iMac 27" i7 with quicktime player 7.6.3 (Interestingly, the "get info" box says QT player 7 is actually version 10.0 ---- puzzling)

thanks .. I thought you might be on to something ... but it didn't work. I had to upgrade to Mac OS 10.6.3 in order to upgrade Quicktime Player to version 7.6.6. Then I opened QT and then picked file>open but I got the same messge. Any other ideas ?

I also noticed that I can't render a section viewport in final RW ... but the smae viewport will render in OpenGL and in hidden line modes. Are these issues related ... or a bug ?

Also: based on the situation, it sounds like Apple isn't supporting the QT VR format anymore. Is that true ?

Well I had the same problem at first and googled it so all i know is what i found on the internet........but make sure you right click the .mov file then choose 'open with' and navigate to QT 7 in the applications folder (simply choosing open does't work, even though it seems like an upgrade during installation, QT7 is simply installed next to QT10)

Edited by Vincent C
Also: based on the situation, it sounds like Apple isn't supporting the QT VR format anymore. Is that true ?
It seems that Apple is no longer supporting or further developing QTVR.

This is from Graphisoft's ArchiCAD : Quick Time VR - Discontinued

QTVR (QuickTime Virtual Reality) technology is not supported by Apple on 64-bit systems. The immediate effect is:

On Mac OSX Snow Leopard, the new QuickTime X player (which is a 64-bit application) does not play QTVR files

On Windows 64-bit operating systems there is no toolkit to develop a QTVR-compatible Add-On for ArchiCAD

Since the future of QTVR technology is unclear, Graphisoft decided to discontinue QTVR Support in ArchiCAD 13. This has given us the opportunity to optimize the memory usage of the 32-bit version of ArchiCAD, enabling users to work with larger models.

Unfortunately it seems that NV needs to pull the plug on creating QTVRs with Vw, but this tells you how to install Quicktime 7 on Snow Leopard so you can still open them: Installing QuickTime Player 7 on Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard

It looks like the way forward for VR (in Apple's eyes at least) is to use their Safari 5 browser & HTML5 Showcase (this link will only work if you're using the Safari 5 browser)

Believe me, I really like QTVRs as there is nothing simpler to explain a design to a client. I don't know why Apple pulled the plug on it and are not giving any clues about its future.

My point was that since there is no guarantee of how long the current fix of using QT7 will continue to work with future Mac & Windows OS upgrades, I hope that NV is looking at their options for a future solution that does not solely rely on QTVR.

Regards,

Tim