import map in right scale, DTM, and road insertion from DWG problems

koleopteros

I am a Forestry student, doing my Diplomacy on VW, which themes the construction of a welcoming center in a snow resort of my home town.

I got a contour map (TIFF format) of scale 1:5000 but I don't know what my import setting should be, to be able to work in a scale one 1:1.Should I import the image file in a scale 1:5000 or 1:1 or something else?The best result I got until now, was to use the scale to object function on the map, but the reference I use are not very accurate ( the measurement are from google earth)

From the contour map which I extracted some contour lines (with polyline tool) for the area of intrest (the map I have,depicts an area way larger than the one I want). But when I make a DTM some contours which are not supposed to connect are connected. Is there a way to eliminate this? Plus the DTM takes a lot of time to create, and when I make a viewport sheet layer with 3 or more viewports, VW really stops working)

Then there is another problem when I try to import a road from a DWG file.

When I import it, the road looks giant and the map layer tiny, plus the road layer doesn't move at no direction nor is selectable, it's like is locked and I cannot do nothing.

Last but not least I have another tiff map file, but this one has a world file attached to it, so when I import it, VW says that it was scaled properly to the world file. What I cannot find is, how can I align the geotiff, with the contour map, and the DTM model since all of these depicts the same area that I want to construct my building center.

It is obvious I don't have GIS knowledge, but I have watch every tutorial video or read all the manuals on Landmark and Architect and still couldn't find answer to my questions.

VW 2010 Landmark

iMac 2007 2GB RAM

Edited by koleopteros

You are probably already doing the right process by scaling the image after import into VW.

If you make a new VW drawing with only one layer at 1:5000 scale, and import the image into that layer, is the image scale correct? (probably not).

Image scale also depends on the source of the map file. Someone may have scanned a paper version and zoomed in or out by some unknown amount. You need a reference object on the map (like a scale bar) or other knowledge of distances on the map so you can rescale it correctly.

The road from DWG: If the import is wrong scale, then reimport with new parameters, or rescale after import. If you cannot select, perhaps it's not on the active layer. During import DWGs create and occupy a new layer, and the layer visibility changes to Show All. Change visibility to Show/Snap All, or make the new layer active. You can select the items in the new layer and Paste In Place them into other layers if needed.

Hope this is helpful and doesn't come too late.

-B

What you are attempting is never easy !

Just take your time ... take notes ... plan it out step by step.

When re-scaling make sure that you only apply the change to one Layer at a time !

And always work within a fresh new file ... especially when importing DWG.

Once things are correct you can WGR or copy & paste into the working file(s).

You should be able to accurately set the scale of the map using the grid-lines which are numbered and appear to be at 100m centers. If you don't have access to the original check a similar OS map.

You may have to correct the distortion in Photoshop.

Be sure to choose as large a base-line as possible to minimize the error.

(don't use Google earth for this)