VW tio Lightwright and vise versa

I'm am running VW10 SP4 on a win 7 machine.

I can get VW to see the changes LW has made, but not the other way around. LW will not see VW changes unless i check the "perform a complete export on exit" in spotlight preferences. I use 2 different workstation both running the same op systems and software. One computer works fine, but this one won't.

Is there a user setting somewhere that need to be changed or updated?

Thanks In Advance

Jeff Miller

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Make sure you are using the most recent version of LW. I recall some sort of obscure LW bug from several months ago like this.

Make sure that bot VW and LW are pointing to the same file, and it sounds like they are.

If everything looks OK then send the LW, VW and the xml file to tech support at Vectorworks or Lightwright.

What confuses me is that it is the identical file on both machines, both running the same software.

The computer that does not work properly was recently completely replaced with the window 7 computer. The settings for VectorWorks were retrieved from the network (I did not have to reset everything with the new install for VW10. LW was a fresh install). I am wondering if there may be some old setting floating around that I may have to dump. Sure would be nice if it worked.

Jeff

Jeff,

What sort of changes are you making? Are you adding and deleting lights, or just changing data? If it's the former, you may have some UID issues.

Have you confirmed that both LW and VW are pointing to the same xml file (and not, for example, the old xml file on the network)?

If so, try this:

- In LW, turn off Data Exchange

- In VW, perform a complete export

- Switch back to LW, enable Data Exchange and choose the xml file. You should see the LW reconcile window.

- After you've reconciled, switch back to VW and choose the refresh instruments command.

You should now be in sync.

-Josh

when i was working on the file exchange yesterday i think i discovered that VW is not updating the .xml file. At least the file time stamp does not change when last updated or saved. When LW loses focus it does make a change in the time stamp. full reconcile does work, just a bit inconvient to have to do that procedure on one computer and not on another. I think the problem lies in VW user setting and preferences. Hopefully i will hear back from Kevin to see what files i should toss.

Jeff

well it seems that once again the user(me) tried to make things too easy. I had been using an older version of "lighting device", probably from VW2009. That was the problem. Funny what you think about when driving home from work (away from the computer) sometimes.

Thanks for all your help

Jeff