Less complicated behaviour when opening files created in older version

Christiaan

Question

I find the current behaviour when opening files created in an older version of Vectorworks too complicated. In the dialogue window that appears there're too many choices, there's too much text to read and, in my experience, most users ignore this dialogue and end up using the default setting even if it's not the best option.

It also creates unnecessary filing work. Usually I'd rather not create an additional file. I just want to overwrite the existing one.

Suggested alternative:

• User opens file created in an older version of VW. File is converted and opened with no fuss, no dialogue window is presented.
  • When user attempts to save file only then are they presented with a dialogue window.
  • The options are to Save, Cancel or Save As..., and the default option (i.e. if the user simply hits return/enter) is to Save.
  • If user chooses Save the file is simply overwritten in place.

This, incidentally, is the behaviour of Apple's iWork suite (see attached image).

P.S. As saving to older versions in Vectorworks can only be done with the Export command then an "Export..." option should maybe be included in the dialogue too.

9 answers to this question

It also creates unnecessary filing work. Usually I'd rather not create an additional file. I just want to overwrite the existing one.

This is a very bad idea for most users. I know you have great backups and control over your data Christiaan, but many/most individual users don't what happens when the computer crashes in the middle of the conversion and you are left with only a corrupted file? Or when you upgrade and realize the file crashes the new version and you don't have an old version copy.

I could see a simpler set of settings or maybe just two buttons one to chang the name of the new file and one to change the name of the old file.

Or even set the default to be rename the old version (which would break references that depend on that file).

But it is very important to not just overwrite the original. Especially not as the default.

what happens when the computer crashes in the middle of the conversion and you are left with only a corrupted file?

Fair question Pat, but a few observations: nothing has ever gone wrong with the hundreds of Pages files I've converted. If you haven't saved the file how can you be left with a corrupt file, the converted file would only be in temporary memory would it not? Whatever the scenario you're presenting here it's not a good reason to avoid a better user interface, it's a reason to get the programming right, as Apple have clearly done.

Or when you upgrade and realize the file crashes the new version and you don't have an old version copy.

Again, never had a problem with Pages. If you're using VW and don't have backups these days you deserve to have a corrupted file; the capability is right there built into VW itself. And the Save As... option is there for those that don't have backups.

Or even set the default to be rename the old version (which would break references that depend on that file).

There wouldn't be any "rename" in the interface I described. But there is the "Save As..." option, which I could probably live with as a default, even though it would not conform to Apple's use and even though it means the rest of us would have to employ the mouse or more clicks on the keyboard.

Do I perhaps agree and disagree with both of you? I think I do.

Now, batch conversion has worked flawlessly for me and created an archive-copy (which is not the same as a back-up) of everything.

The complexity of a program such as VW is way beyond something very simple like Pages or Photoshop. Also far beyond the Microsoft Office -suite, in which one can work in a compatibility mode.

With Objects, things are not nearly as simple as with simple Dumb Data. Trust me, Christiaan: I'm a consultant!

Notwithstanding, the user interface could be better - a lot better. The default could very well be ?Ignore previous version and convert automatically?.

The default? Actually, we don't have even an option??The dialog just pops up!