snap to grid

The curser itself doesn't "jump" to the next grid snap, but if you watch the curser position cues in the lower right corner, you will see that it is jumping to the grid snaps.

Try drawing a rectangle with the grid snap on and the view zoomed in enough and you will see that the rectangle corner jumps to the next grid snap ahead of the curser.

You wouldn't want the curser to jump between snaps, because you often want to snap to or acquire a smart point that isn't on a grid snap.

hth

michaelk

What version of VW are you using?

I just did a test w/ VW 2009. When dragging rectangle around, it snapped to the grid as expected - unless, of course, the curser was following one of the faces of the rectangle. In that case it was snapping to an object.

Turning off the Snap to Object constraint (but leaving the Snap to Grid on) made the rectangle only drag in grid snap units.

michaelk

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to jump in here late, but I can't move a complex object and keep it on the grid without turning off snap to object. Disabling smart points does not help. My solutions have been to turn off snap to object while moving those objects, or make the move by entering data in the floating data field, or use the move command, which I dislike because I can never remember which way the object will move based on + or - entries. Any other options you can think of?