Workgroup Referencing

visard

Do we have any material available to us which discusses the methods and 'best practices' for workgroup referencing? I have used this technique with mixed results and would like to be able to proceed with confidence on new project which will require a concerted team effort. PS - Search does yield responses to the query, unfortunately 2000 of them have almost nothing to do with the subject and the manual is completely disinterested in conveying information regarding a clear discussion of the practice and how it might be best used.

Thanks for your help.

Thanks brudgers but I wasn't looking for page layouts. The above file is a pdf of a large project and doesn't really address the mechanics of setting up WGRef's. As a starting point, can anyone tell me, or point me to an article on, how a new work station would set up a new file and prepare to reference the master file and add information to the master? When I follow the lesson in the Design Series manual, (design layer viewport), the scale is screwed up, layers and classes do not automatically establish, and most critically updates to the reference file do not take place when exiting or opening the target file.

Thanks for your help.

Thanks brudgers but I wasn't looking for page layouts. The above file is a pdf of a large project and doesn't really address the mechanics of setting up WGRef's. As a starting point, can anyone tell me, or point me to an article on, how a new work station would set up a new file and prepare to reference the master file and add information to the master? When I follow the lesson in the Design Series manual, (design layer viewport), the scale is screwed up, layers and classes do not automatically establish, and most critically updates to the reference file do not take place when exiting or opening the target file.

Thanks for your help.

First, you have to ask yourself are you going to model all the major portions of the building and/or site in 3d that will generate much in the way of the 2d Sheets.

If you are going to work primarily in 2d and not going to model as above you might need to reconsider looking at the project suggested.

If working only in 2d a different method of dividing up the work via Work Group Referencing should be considered as one will need to have the Plans, Elevations, Building Sections, and Wall Sections Referenced one to another to aid with coordination of your design. Each one of those 2d type drawings informs the other and its configuration.

You should consider what is the largest the design team can or will get in the life of the project and divide work up accordingly in the separate files.

The best thing one can do is diagram your setup graphically so the design team has a clear understanding of where to effect the work.

Sorry for the cryptic answer but with the flexibility of Vectorworks and its Work Group Referencing the division and combination of files is quite expansive.

Thanks for the above. Perhaps it would help if I outlined my situation. First off, the white paper for the Ellicott Heights BIM is the most lucid account I've seen for designing the BIM/WGRef model and much of that information is applicable here but my most recent project is more akin to Alexandria Laundry Lofts. Currently, I am working on six urban row houses on three sites. I have designed two housing types which will be combined as needed. Two of the sites are infill and attached on two sides, the third is a semi-detached double. I will model all and draft the structural in 2 and 3D as needed for sectional information. Mechanical and Electrical (MEP) will be imported in 2D from consultants .dwg's. Two persons will compose my project team, the master file is located on a server. I'm thinking of a horizontal data set. I would like to produce all levels, on three different sites, on a single assigned design layer and VP them to the proper sheets to produce a plan, section, elevation. etc. drawing set for each address. Work flow is probably divided between interior and exterior with plans, schedules and sections by one person and elevations and site planning, zoning, code, notes, etc. by another. The overlap will occur at the exterior skin and I assume we would work on alternate sites to coordinate.

I have established a template with project setups which include the classes, layers, sheets, viewports. It also includes the schematic plans, elevations and massing model. Symbols, textures, hatches, and wall styles have yet to be constructed. I gather that the file now needs to be copied and renamed as necessary to start the Design Development and the WGR files. Any suggestions thus far?

Visard,

I have the following suggestions for your project. Generally, these fall in line with how I handled the parking structures for Ellicott Heights.

1. Each housing unit should have its own file, with at least one design layer for each storey/level.

2. In each housing unit file, create a design layer for each storey/level MEP.

3. For the MEP dwg's, create a separate VWX file for each housing unit and a design layer for each storey/level. Import the DWG info as needed. Then, reference these MEP files/layers into the appropriate housing unit file and design layer/storey. If/when the MEP information changes, you can delete the contents of the original VWX MEP file/layer and re-import. This gives flexibility to information being updated in the background or the unit/master files, without having to create new files or make new WGR/DLVP links everytime.

4. The site should be its own file. Make sure to create a separate reference layer so you can temporarily reference in the building footprints, as needed, to manipulate the DTMs. Then when you composite the buildings and site in a "master file" you only have to reference the DTM. More nimble this way.

5. Create a single master file for compositing all the info together.

6. I would rethink the workflow a bit. If you're truly modeling everything, then each person can really attack each unit more holistically (plan, section, elevation, interior/exterior). Another person can deal with the site, scheduling, and additional info and annotations in the master file as a single duty, or as a side duty. Think of it as a division of modeling and designing vs. data extraction and presentation, instead of a division based on sheet/drawing output only.

Visard,

3. For the MEP dwg's, create a separate VWX file for each housing unit and a design layer for each storey/level. Import the DWG info as needed. Then, reference these MEP files/layers into the appropriate housing unit file and design layer/storey. If/when the MEP information changes, you can delete the contents of the original VWX MEP file/layer and re-import. This gives flexibility to information being updated in the background or the unit/master files, without having to create new files or make new WGR/DLVP links everytime.

I would change one thing here if Jeffrey does not mind. In the file you import the MEP data you do not have to delete the existing content as when you import it most likely will go on a Design Layer based upon the name of the file being imported. If the consultant sends you a file with the same name then it would be best to add to the Design Layer identifier label such as a date after the imported file name.

You can then import the new data and this import will be placed on a Design Layer based upon this file name. After this import again add a label to identify this content. The Work Group Reference and the Design Layer Viewport then only needs for you to change which Design Layer is on for reference. You will then also have a history of data exchange that you can view and retain for the iterations of design.