DLVP - driving me crazy!

I'm trying to use DLVP for the first time and I just can't figure out a few things. I'm trying to use it for backgrounds that I get from Architects. I then do my drawing on top of that. Just like an Xref in ACAD I want to just replace the referenced file when I get an update and have everything fall into place.

Am I correct in that,

1) You can't edit object level attributes in a DLVP, only class and layer attributes? So if an object has an attribute that is not controlled by it's class there is no way to adjust this other than in the referenced file? Not to mention that there is no way to select an object to see what class it is on anyway.

2) In v2008 any class and layer overrides of a DLVP will not show up in sheet layer viewport? I think that this was fixed in v2009?

Even if #2 is fixed in v2009, without the ability to change object level attributes in a DLVP, why bother? If I have to go through the referenced file every time I get a new updated one and reset all of the attributes each time why would I not just bring the geometry in my main drawing on a separate layer and do the same?

Edited by Doubledge

#1, Yes, you can only override attributes by class or specify the DLVP to use Layer Colors.

But, you should be importing into a separate VW file. In that file you can access and change the attributes of individual objects. One of the edit options for the DLVP is to edit the Design Layer. If it is a referenced DLVP, it will automatically open the other file. You do have to Update the reference after you save the changes in the referenced file.

#2. Fixed in VW2009.

#2B. It depends on how many changes you need to make to the original file. If it is really coming from Autocad, then all the objects should have the attributes set by class. The biggest benefit of using it referenced is that you don't contaminate your work file with all the DWG classes to make it harder to use.

You're correct on #2 with DLVP class overrides not working in 2008.

The 'shuttle' file technique as described on this KnowledgeBase page may help with DWG file updates Optimizing File Size and Speed:

DWG Shuttle File

Use the DWG shuttle file to easily create a referenced design layer viewport of your DWG files into your working document which will allow you to snap to points, control layer and class visibilities separate from your working document and allow you to update revised DWG files. Note that when you create design layer viewports to select just the layers that you need and keep any layer information that you do need invisible. This will reduce file size and help drafting speed.

and also described here Re: classes of imported DWG ahhhhhhhhhhhhh

When you import a single DWG file there is an option to insert a prefix in front of the DWG Class names. Use this and you won't have the overwriting problem.

If you only need to see the information rather than edit it you can use the 'shuttle file' technique:

- Import your DWG file into a new blank drawing.

- Reference that information into your destination file with a DLVP.

Doing it this way will prevent your drawing being populated by the Autocad blocks, line types and Classes. As a by product of this your Classes won't get overwritten by the Autocad Class definitions.

Regards,

Tim

The ACAD files I get sometimes have hundreds of items that have some attributes adjusted differently than what the ACAD layer settings are. So there can be a lot of changes I need to make. It stinks.

The easiest way to deal with it is to edit the file in autocad.

Here is another question.

Is is possible to change the level of gray used for the Gray Visibility setting in classes and layers?

Nope (at least i don't think so), however you can use a DLVP and opacity to achieve the same effect but with better graphics.....that's how i work now.....using DLVPs as backgrounds with 15% opacity. (The advantage is that you can manipulate ie rotate etc. the DLVP but not a grayed layer) If the background is an external VW file you can also use the colors and line thickness effectively in combination with opacity. PS! I can't remember if 2008 has opacity capabilities?!

Edited by Vincent C