How to show a ceiling in the automatic sections.

CARMELHILL

I have just started using VW's automatic sections and elevations instead of converting my 3d model to lines and then cleaning it all up. They have come out pretty good so far but how can you model a ceiling so it appears in the section with the correct thickness but also so it won't cut throught the roof surface (the angled cut on the top of the ceiling joists over the top plate). I'll see if I can attached something.

2009 Architect SP2

I figured a stupid work around but there has to be something better. I built a ceiling in stages, 2" at a time and offset each stage in towards the center. Kind of like a crude tapered extrude. Yopu technically have to use the AEC-Floor menu command otherwise it would create the section outline correctly. If I use the tapered extrude I get this result......

• 2 weeks later...

Depends on if the ceiling is flat, sloped or other odd shape.

We use the Ceiling tool for flat ceilings, the Roof Face tool for sloped ceilings, and use the various extrude tools for other type ceilings such as Vaults or Domes, etc. With the latter you will have to add a 2d representation and either group or make a symbol out of the objects for the Hybrid representation. Then when you cut the Section Viewport you will see the section as it needs to be.

Ahhh? Ceiling Tool? Do you mean the Ceiling Grid Tool? I noticed it doesn't have an editable thickness. Is there another tool?

I've resorted to suing the floor menu tool and making sure it is thinner than the roof to make sure it doesn't peirce the roof top roof membrane. It might not be dranw to scale but at least it looks decent in the model.