Sheet VP - z heights are all wrong in elev/sections

KBW

VW 2008 Architect

same issue on all my computers - Vista & XP

I am fairly new to VW, and EVERY dwg I have done has this problem, but this time I am sure I have set up all the layers correctly. BUT soon as I move to Sheet layers to do sections/elevations, it's TOTALLY screwed! Nothing is on the right plane anymore. Roof is hanging in the air, floors are floating.

The z and delta z and offset in layers are fine, though I tought myself & it took ages to just get things to feel right, maybe I'm wrong. So why is this happening?????

This time I'm on a deadline, and I'm in BIG trouble here. Please PLEASE someone help me.

Thank you for ANY insight.

It sounds like you have put in both Z heights for the layers and manually moved the objects in the Z direction as well.

The normal workflow in VW is to set the Z of the layers and then draw everything at or near the layer zero point. The Viewports or Stack Layers mode will take care of including the Z offset of each layer when it assembles the model.

Set your Layer Options to Active Only and look at each layer in Front (or left, right, back) view. All (most) of the objects should be located at the layer zero. If not, select them all and drag them to the zero point. Remember, floors (and other objects) could be designed to sit below the zero point of the layer and this is OK.

You have not moved your origin have you? If you have, your on screen rulers will not be correct for the Z zero point for your layers, and you will have to trust the data in the object info palette.

Thanks, Pat!

I think I get it now. I changed the Organization> Design Layer's z back to 0, and it lines up now ... So, therefore the z is not the ground plane, it is the base of EACH layer?! I was seeing it all wrong.

I had indeed moved everything twice. You are my savior (and I really shoud get an instructor!)

Thanks so much, I tryly appreciate your help.

Congratulations.

Yes, the Layer Z is the offset from the groundplane of everything on that layer. Since it was easier to set the Z's to zero for this time, that is great, but next time, try it the other way around and set the Layer Z's and just put everything on the correct layer.

The idea behind this is that you don't have to do any calculations. If your Finished Floor (or subfloor) for your first floor is zero, you have 3 meter first floor ceiling height, 2340 mm second and third floor ceiling height and 287 mm of structure between floors and you want your third floor windows to have a head height os 2187 mm above finished floor, you don't have to do the math. Just set the first floor Z to zero, the second floor to 3287 mm, the third floor to 3287 mm + 287 + 2340 mm. You then draw all the third floor walls at the layer zero point and set your windows to use the 2187 head height and you are all set.

I apologize if my example heights are a little off of real standards, but they should give you the idea.

Pat, my original drawing was as you've suggested I do next time, and everything was on correct layers (all 2nd floor objects were at z=8'-ish, etc.), but maybe I had something wrong. I was quite confused.

I agree the method of setting floors to z above ground floor ht seems better - particularly because I now can't use the stair tool appropriately.

I appreciate your advice.