Create Roof Command Test

bc

I am still running the last build for 12.5 and maybe my problem is that simple but I believe there is some roof creation protocol problem.

Could someone please tell me why the attached closed polygon prohibits the creation of a roof when the command is issued?

I know the hip roof solution for this is more complicated than I would personally want to frame but I can do this one with Roof Faces so why would I get the "roof too complicated" message and do others have this problem with the polygon shown?

Thanks for any help, Bradley

The polygon is closed (at least it has always said so in the OIP) and was created with the polygon tool, poly's from walls command and three rectangles-add surface. I've tried various settings in the roof creation dialog and I've deleted and reinserted the create roof command into my custom workspace menu and in a standard workspace. I've repaired permissions and restarted and shut down with fresh boot-up.

AFTER SOME SLEEP:

Mike's file works for me too so this morning I recreated the poly by adding surfaces of three rectangles again and now it works which I don't understand. My OIP always said closed with the box ticked and only 10 vertices.

Chalk another one up to the great mystery. Thanks Mike

Even more mystery.

I just tried it in 2008. I got a message: "Could not create roof, house drawing is too complex to compute roof.

I tried from a polygon and from walls. Everything was closed and otherwise kosher.

But, if I Add Surface of 3 rectangles to get the the exact same polygon, it computes the roof without any problem.

Strange...

So rather than polylining or adding surfaces you filled in the negative space.

I like that. I went with my walls initially. Maybe one of them was a pixel off of square but that shouldn't have thrown it for any loops.

Seems we'll have to let this one dangle....

bc, I think I may have just jagged a way that worked.

I went back and tried creating the source polygon using Clip Surface with the original 4 rectangles, and by drawing the Polygon using the given dimensions. In both cases the resulting polygons would not create the roof.

Why only one of the three methods worked is a bit of a mystery.

Edited by mike m oz