Ability to see 2d objects in perspective in 3d views

billtheia

Question

11 answers to this question

Actually, those are 2d objects projected on the floor. I took a screen shot and applied it as a texture to an extrude, just to show what I was after.

I know that I could do what I showed in 3d with the cabinet PIO but what I'm looking for is a quick way to show 2d objects, including line types and text, projected on the "floor" of 3d views. Perhaps my example wasn't the best - did it in a hurry just to show the effect I was after.

There have been numerous occasions when I simply wanted to show the outline of something 2d (eg, property line) in a 3d drawing. Right now, there's not even a good way to fake it.

In addition, it would be really helpful while drawing, to be able to see where 2d things are in relation to 3d things in 3d views. Having them show up in the way of a view or disappear is NOT helpful.

In VW11 there's a "convert to" . . . command. How about converting the 2D object to nurbs or whatever 3D mode takes you fancy, on a different layer. Then they'd be displayed in 3D views as 3D objects. All you'd need to do is adjust the Z co-ords and opacity.

That is not the point of this post. What will you do when you need to adapt the 2D objects? You'll have to remember to copy them, convert them to nurbs or 3D polys and give the wright z to them.

I'd give up too if I had to live without copy/paste BUT it really doesn't solve my problem.

I'd like to be able to see 2d objects INCLUDING their line types (dashed, etc.) in PERSPECTIVE views WITHOUT having to go through a workaround.

Copy/paste & convert to... is a workaround that sort of works but doesn't allow any line type other than continuous.

What you are asking for Bill is a REALLY big hike. There may be simpler solutions, but this would mean using a form of virtual projection. Every object in a drawing would have to be a Hybrid with a projector light shining on the out view 2D objects using the 3D models as the cinema screen for the projection.

It's a beautiful idea, but extreeeeeemly expensive processor wise.

Unfortunately VW is getting to the "Bucket of Bolts" stage where it already has just TOOO many bits thrown into the melange. The arrival of Parasolids means that(hopefully) VW will get a ground up rebuild around this aquired technology.

Slimming down the extras hanging on to the structure will be a long process, and VW is slow enough right now,(always has been) so Bill, i think you may have to wait 'til VW has been on a diet long enough to get it back to the picture of health we'd all like to see.

Then, you might get your wish.

Yes Bill, you're right, but things move on, and unfortunately companies like NNA all move in different directions and i think that's why most of us that have used these Apps for a long time Roo the day that certain old Apps(and aspects of old Apps) fade away because of what they could do years ago but not now.

Not impossible, but lots of work to make sure it all works together in one piece of software with out one piece of code stepping on the toes of another.

i moan and complain about all the missing parts of the jigsaw in VW, and we all have a right to do this, BUT, i can't write code, and the guys at NNA that do, have one hell of a job to ensure it all sits comfortably together in the virtual box without one piece fighting with another.

i don't know exactly how NNA works, but while we are out here enjoying the benefits of what VW can do, back at the office there is probably some poor soul that's been trying to figure out a way of doing what you would like for the last year, but we wont see it 'til it works with the rest of VW. There may even be a team working on the very necessary ground up rebuild, so that all the bits fit properly(i certainly hope so), but 'til it all fits, it's just a "Beta Dream" for us all.

Edited by AndiACD