different facade material

You can draw separate walls, stacked on top of each other.

Or draw the most typical wall from floor to roof,

then apply either 3D polygons, extrudes, or walls on the face of that wall

with the texture of that part of the wall.

I tend to use extrudes. Set to a front or side view, draw a polygon

over the wall area that I want to cover in a different material,

then extrude how ever much you want. Then go to a top/plan

view and move the extrude to position it where you want it in front

of the wall.

I only get into this later on in the design since changes to the wall layouts also requires fiddling with these other parts, slowing down the work.

I am interested to hear how others tend to deal with this issue.

A vertical break is no problem. Just change the wall type.

But if you're talking about horizontal changes that occur at windows or other items that cut walls, it's difficult (at least for me) Say you have a stucco exterior wall and a brick veneer wainscot to 36". Add windows with sills at 24". The windows need to cut 2 wall types. But they can't. I'd draw the stucco walls with the windows. Then add the 36" tall brick wainscot to the exterior. Where the wainscot needs to drop to the 24", place a shorter section of wainscot below the window sill. The breaks in the walls don't show when rendered. It's time consuming and looks best if the brick thickness is exaggerated.

I've tried drawing a full height wall, inserting a window then duplicating in place the wall & changing it's height thickness and texture. This looks OK until rendered. Objects that occupy the same place don't usually render as desired

You might try making a symbol of the window and the short piece of wainscot. You'll need to set the insertion point to account for the offset.

I don't know of an easy way to do this.

Doors/windows/symbols can only be in one wall at a time. If you need multiple walls (stacked vertically) with objects that extend across them, the easiest way is to use the 3D Selection tool in an elevation view to put in "Wall Peaks", that will let you reshape the wall around objects extending from a different wall.

See my move "Notch Walls Around Windows" at http://vectortasks.com/Movies/Movies.html for more information.

Pat