Unable to set opacity of extrude?

Bill, you are correct. It is not possible. However it is possible with FLOORS and other AEC Objects. Perhaps there is a work-around there for you?

Further, although there is no way to change an extrude's opacity, you can apply a texture to it, and that texture could be adjusted to create a partially see-through extrude. Here is a quick example using one the renderworks glass textures:

Interesting question. I am not an engineer or programmer but my guess would be that there would be little (if any) difference in rendering times.

Also, I want to amend my previous response to state that OPACITY is a 2D ONLY attribute. So yes you can apply opacity settings to Floors, etc., but it will only be apparent in 2d (top/plan) view.

From VW's Help files:

"Opacity Attributes:

In addition to the overall layer opacity settings described in Setting the Design Layer Opacity, an opacity setting is available for individual objects in Top/Plan view. Opacity can be applied to any type of planar 2D object, including 2D walls, text, worksheet backgrounds, and plug-in objects that include a 2D object. "