3D Modeling, Object Type, File Size

So doing more and more 3d modeling if you will. I am reworking some of my symbol libraries. I have a few files that were in other formats an are very nice shapes, but are meshes. I do not typically use meshes very much. I typically building solids using the tools in the 3d modeling tool set. Is having a 3d mesh a good thing? How will this effect me if I have a large number of these symbols made of these meshes in my drawing. Is it better if they are polys or solids? Just looking for a little insight here.

Thanks,

Matt

In my mind Mesh equals larger files and longer Renders (Even in OpenGL). If you're working with a few small mesh items at a time you may not even notice, but if you're, say designing an auditorium and are using a chair symbol that includes mesh, then good luck... I speak from experience.

Yes, meshes are generally to be avoided. Difficult, sometimes nearly impossible to edit; moreover, resource-devouring, depending on number of vertices.

That being said, lots of objects import as meshes (read:Sketchup), so they are hard to avoid. Vectorbits offers an Optimize Drawing plug-in which can be used (with caution) to reduce vertices.

Otherwise, NURBS are your friend, and use symbols and nested symbols whenever possible to reduce redundant calculations.