Window sill & trim

When I activate a window sill--in the Window Settings>Parts>Sill dialog--the Height dimension--in addition to the height of the sill--creates a zone also at the jambs and head. In section, that zone creates a blank zone at the window head ie it prevents the wall from coming down to the window frame (sort of like a very deep shim space). Why does it do this and how to override?

A similar thing happens with trims (also with doors).

Also, Special Classes (Window Settings>View>Special Classes) seem to take effect only is sections, not in Top/Plan view.

The "blank spot" in the wall behind trim in Section VP's is a problem with no real override. Only workaround I am aware of is just adding a rectangle with a fill similar to the wall over the spot.

I guess I don't really understand what you are getting at in your second question.

Thanks for your help.

No matter what special class attributes I set--in Top/Plan view the window shows its general class attribute. In section viewports, the special class attributes display correctly.

Couple more questions:

Sills don't seem to cut/eliminate walls completely. If, for example, unless the lip (thickness) of a sill is higher than the bottom of the window frame (which of course is not usual), there will remain a sliver of wall.

Also, do you know how to create a stool? One can assign a special class to it, and wrap interior trim under it, but I don't see anywhere how to create one.

Yeah, you are right about the Top/Pln view showing only the overall class attribute. The special classes are only associated with the 3D component of that hybrid object. To get what you are looking for I am afraid drawing 2D linework over the T/P view is the only way. Unless someone else has this figured out.

That sliver of "wall" that appears above the sill in the section seems to be the actual window frame/casing, not wall. So I have no idea, neither with the stool.

One thing I have wanted to do for some time is to be able to adjust the location of the sash in the wall. For example if you are using a vinyl or fiberglass window with a nailing flange. The sash in these windows would be close to flush with the face of the wall sheathing, not in the middle of the wall as VWks draws it. Drives me a bit crazy since the cross sections are supposed to show how the building goes together, but the windows are clearly wrong. Yes 2D enlarged details of the sill/head/jamb show it correctly, but it is nice to have the cross section match the actual conditions. Anyone been able to figure this out?

• 2 weeks later...

wivc,

If you want to control the line weights of windows (and doors) in Top/Plan View, have you tried the "Use Part Line Styles" option (Settings>View>Use Part Line Styles)? I think "Special Classes" apply to 3D only. The help box at the bottom of the Settings dialogue box says that "Use Part Line Styles" will override the window's attribute settings, but they won't unless you set the pen attribute for the window to "None."

HTH, Will