Newbie question - Designer & VW Arch

MTB

Have a floor plan which was created with lines in designer and want to convert it to arch with wall objects etc. Is there a clever tool in VW that can make this easy to do rather than completely redraw the floor plan using wall creations?

You can perhaps do this with Polygons via the "objects [walls] from poly's" command. And you can "compose" your lines into poly's, but in reality it might not work, as I think VW's might be looking for slightly different sort of data to start with. You could certainly give it a try (I have not tried it). I always recommend doing a "Save As" prior to making any major change to a file. That way you can use trial and error and not worry about completely wacking the file out...

The wall tool is very fast though. I suggest you create a new design layer, make sure that the layer viewing option is set to "show, snap others" and then simply trace over the lines with the wall tool.

Good Luck ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

In 12.5 : Also (in new design layer, with show/snap others)easy to trace over interior shapes of room, with either polygon or rectangle tool, then select all polys, AEC>Space Planning>Create Spaces from polys. (spaces are useful for future worksheets too)

Then select all spaces, AEC>Space Planning>Create walls from spaces,

(makes sure 'combine colinear walls' is checked)

not yet familiar with 2008, hope this feature still exists.

• 2 months later...

the feature does still exists, although i have had some substantial difficulty with it in leopard. if i have more than five or six polys that i want to create spaces and walls from, the walls that are created are incorrect, zigzag all over the spaces, and i even have little 6" walls just floating out in the drawing board.

not very effective.

this in on a fresh new build of leopard and a fresh install of VW.