manipulating views in a Viewports

Andrew Mac

I am new to using viewports- I have always used layer links to view my site plan, 1st floor and roof plan together- I am able to really control the view I want with the flyover tool in the layerlink. It seems that I am unable to use the fly over tool when using viewports- am I missing something? How do I get different views beside the standard ones ( left, right, right isometric, etc) Also I use the renderworks camera tool once I am in the layerlink, can I use the camera tool in the viewport?

1. Establish/rotate to the view you want in the design layer,

2. Draw a Rectangle to "frame" the view that you want

3. Select the "Create Viewport..." from the View menu

4. Designate the Viewport name and where you want it to be located (sheet layer).

You can also use the camera tool, layer link or not. You can also create a sheet layer viewport from the camera view, as above.

Layer links aren't necessary to view the model as a whole, as long as Stacked Layers is on. If the site is at a different scale and rotation, a design layer viewport (they replaced layer links and are much more powerful) can be created on the floor plan layer. Think of it as a special "symbol" referencing another part of the drawing, but having more object-like properties.

Mac B, All of what Jeffrey said is true, but I would add that if you're wanting to use the flyover tool (or any other dynamic moving tool) you should to be in a design layer. Viewports (on sheet layers) are for creating finished static views, for printing or other presentation.

Peter,

This is only partially correct. While a viewport is designed to be primarily static, while you are in Edit Crop mode, you can use the view manipulation tools (Flyover, Walk Through, Translate View, Rotate View) to fine tune the view.

You can't use the Camera tool in a Crop though.

Pat

No, but I have used to fine tune a view to highlight a detail I need to show.

You are correct that for general use, the walkthrough and flyover are better used on a sheet layer. Wth Stack Layers, a Design Layer Viewport or a model layer made of Layer Links, you get a much more interactive process. You can get the view you want and then create the viewport from there.

If you find out later that you didn't get it quite right, you can modify it in the crop rather than having to create the entire viewport again.

Pat