Mac Permissions?

Thinking of going back to a Mac. Repairing Permissions seems to appear very frequently to resolve problems with VW on the Mac OS. I'd appreciate some info from Mac users about this subject. Is it just an annoyance? Does it appear in VW more than other apps? What is involved in the repair process?

I'm NOT trying to start a PC/Mac debate, just curious about the subject. Thanks.

George

It can be set up as an automated process, much like you would run an anti-virus scan on a PC.

If you do it on a regular basis, the process should take a few minutes, if that. "Regular basis" depends on how hard the system is being pushed. I typically run it once a month, and could get away with running it every few months. A number of reference forums and websites recommend every couple of weeks and every time new software / OS is updated or installed.

If you don't run it on a regular basis, the process may take 10 minutes or so. I don't think I've ever seen it take longer than 30 minutes to run.

The equivalent to Disk Utility on a PC is disk defrag, only defrag takes a considerable amount of time more than disk utility.

In my personal opinion, the Mac architecture is more intuitive and easier to manage. When problems occur, which is minimal, it's far easier to resolve than a similar issue using a PC. Likewise, hardware updates, for the exception of peripherals (printers and such) are typically included in the OS updates, rather than needing to manually get them from the manufacture.

Unfortunately, the biggest limitation when switching from a PC to Mac is the slight decrease in peripheral support. Most printers are supported for Windows while not all printers are supported using Macs. The same can be found true for mice, keyboards, etc.

The industry has come a long way and is MUCH better than even a few years ago. But it is still something to consider if you plan to switch. If you have a large format plotter, (and even an everyday printer or fax) you may want to ensure it's compatible with Macs now rather than finding out the hard way.

(I've used Mac computers for about 16 or so years and PCs for about 13 years. I'm certified in both architectures.)

I've had my Powerbook G4 for about 5 years now. Currently running OS 10.4.9.

It's hard to say whether other apps require this as much as VW because, though I use others quite a lot, none are used as intensively as VW. It seems to carry more importance with VW because after spending weeks or months working on a file or several files referenced together, no one wants to have a problem for lack of running the disk utility.

Never had a serious problem.

Repairing permissions is as easy as opening the Disk Utility app and clicking on Repair Permissions.

On my machine with 1GB ram and 120GB hard drive, it never takes more than a few minutes.

George

I hope I am not telling you anything you already know ...........

I have a weekly routine of running MacJanitor (freeware), Repairing Permissions, and DiskWarrior.

Macs have a maintenance program that is timed to run in the wee small hours, it can't run if the Mac is turned off at night, so MacJanitor does that job. Actually, I never turn mine off anyway - I Restart reasonably frequently, that seems to clear any odd program behaviour. The iMac On/Off button is tucked away at the back of the machine, probably deliberately because it's better if you use the Shutdown or Restart tool below the Apple menu.

Repairing permissions takes only a minute or two in my experience, it is not a big deal. It should be run before and after loading new software.

DiskWarrior has to be bought, it's expensive and slow IMHO, but it seems to work really well, by rebuilding the Mac directory.

Macs also have a Software Update under the Apple menu, and it can be automated, so the OS and other Apple progs are always up to date, especially Security.

The Epson and HP printers I list worked just fine out of the box.

Katie,

Thanks. The defrag program that comes as part of W XP is slow & intrusive. I upgraded to Diskeeper Pro (the provider of the built in version) last fall. It runs in the background, waiting for idle periods to keep my hard drives (4) defragmented. Even a manual defrag only takes a few minutes. My computer has been faster & more stable since I started using it.

Your description of the Mac Disc Utility seems to be analogous to Diskeeper Pro.

George

<

The industry has come a long way and is MUCH better than even a few years ago. But it is still something to consider if you plan to switch. If you have a large format plotter, (and even an everyday printer or fax) you may want to ensure it's compatible with Macs now rather than finding out the hard wa>>

Now my two cents, and with all due respect to Katie,

Mac keyboards and mice are a non-issue. They're cheap and plentiful. Some like the new imac keyboard are functional and elegant.

Just about every printer you might want will work on a mac. All the HP plotters do. Most Cannons do. Only issue will be if you try to use an old printer---pre OSX printer. Should not be a problem with anything recent from a major company like HP.

Monitors are also a non-issue. Many mac users use PC monitors. In the old days Macs required different monitors. Now they do not. Same with scanners.

If there is an issue it will be software. There may be some program you depend on that you have a lot invested in that doesn't run on a mac. The good news is that the intel macs can run windows when you need it.

Oh, and permissions. They are one of the dumbest things about OSX. Its the Mac's dip switch. Apple should internalize this process because nobody normal understands it, and it's hard to see the positive effects. Still, before and after installing new software it's good to do. It's a real push the button and stick the ice cream in your forehead operation though.

Hope this helps.

Donald

Donald,

I had to switch to a PC because of software 10 years ago.

However, going back means converting existing licenses from PC to Mac. Running Windows on the Mac adds the cost of another OS.

My existing peripherals are all compatible with one minor exception. I recently bought a USB flash drive (2GB Sandisk Cruzer $19) that has U3 Smart Technology. This allows you to run programs directly from the flash drive.

Currently only on XP/Vista, if you plug it into a Mac it behaves as a standard flash drive.

http://www.u3.com/smart/default.aspx

"Apple should internalize this process because nobody normal understands it, and it's hard to see the positive effects."

I agree this applies to Windows defrag as well.

Thanks George

Edited by G_Hannigan
Oh, and permissions. They are one of the dumbest things about OSX. Its the Mac's dip switch. Apple should internalize this process because nobody normal understands it, and it's hard to see the positive effects.

I can't claim to understand all the ins and outs of disk permissions, but I have never had one bite my posterior, and when running Disk Utility have only seen one or two permissions out of whack at any one time on a "pivotally important" color profile file, or some such.

It's always amazed me how many people have problems with such things. That said, I may be using my Mac in a way that minimizes this problem. My machine runs 24/7 and more often than not I am using it after midnight. I have heard that OSX runs maintenance operations in the wee hours, so if the machine is off from midnight to dawn (or even asleep), entropy creeps in, thus requiring manual intervention.

Perhaps someone more knowledgeable in the underpinnings of OSX would comment and shed some light here.

Raymond

G4 & macMini - OSX 10.4.10

Oh, and permissions. They are one of the dumbest things about OSX. Its the Mac's dip switch. Apple should internalize this process because nobody normal understands it, and it's hard to see the positive effects.

Sorry, but permissions is one of the most intelligent features of *nix systems, especially for those of us who manage multi-user systems. If you don't understand them, either you haven't bothered spending 30 seconds to look up what they are and how they work, or you don't care to understand them.