Copy with base point

Is there a simple way to carry out a copy with base point type command... having to duplicate, then try to faff around putting it in the right relation to similar items (i.e. copying room furniture from one room to other idenentical rooms).

I guess you could put in a loci, and include it all in a group and move it based on the loci snap, but that's a bit long winded for what should be a very simple procedure...

I'm sure I just haven't figured out how o do this, as it seems like a pretty major omision if you can't do it... any guidance much appreciated

I don't think there is a straight forward way to do this in Vectorworks - which is too bad.

There is a great move tool from vectorbits.com that does exactly what you want and more and is very much worth the money. It should be built in but until then...

I agree that there must be some valuable additions at VectorBits,, but I jumped the gun on the last "where is the Tool?' discussion we had here. I wanted a duplicate array in a line that also stretched out as I moved the mouse, letting me custom the spread visually with a shadow/grey preview of the result... All I had to do was have the confidence and perseverance to explore the tools pallet,, It was there,, didn't see it till after I Bought and downloaded the plug-in from VectorBits,,, Plus, I never did find out how exactly to get the use of what I bought,,(put it in the 'plug-in' folder in the VW folder ? but It must need something more,, cuz I did not see it in my tool list,,, BUT it a mute point.. VW had it covered anyway..

look before ya leap !

thanks

Danny

Danny -

Are you referring to the duplicate along path tool? that is a good tool for sure, but I don't know of a VW tool that duplicates or moves from a remote base point like in autoCAD.

Plus the vectorbits tool lets you add or subtract quantity of items to duplicate on the fly and you can distribute the copies spread out in between the first and second click or the first and second click can determine the spacing and vector for the duplicates. I find these functions very handy.

The only tool I've used from vector depot was the align plug-in and half the buttons don't work for me :(

Thanks for the added info.. George & rsa . now I hav a question about the old 'Layer vs. Class' thing,,, I have a floor plan, in 4 layers 1 real parts, 2 to be built parts, 3 all seating , 4 big cabinets,, ( it's a airplane set,,) So now I find i want to make layer 1, 3, & 4 visible , but not 2,,, or some other way to view and print,, Is it Class the turns off & on? can I turn off & on Layers? or do I have to 'cut' and paste the seperate layers into something else?

I'll paste this all into the proper forum now,, sorry....

thanks

Danny

Classes are the way to go, but if you dont want to redo your layers, use a saved view or a viewport with layers set for your preferred visibilities. Set this up in Edit Saved View for the saved view, or in OIP "Layers" pop up for the viewport. Or, if you have the Navigation Palette, use it's edit functions to define visibilities.

-B