More open to render competitors

Christiaan

Question

It seems apparent to me, judging by comments by NNA staff on the topic, amongst other things, that RenderWorks has become a conflict of interest when it comes to getting VectorWorks to play nicely with 3rd party renderers.

If this is the case my wish is that NNA changes its attitude. Make RenderWorks a competitive product; let it compete on its on terms and stand on its own two feet instead of trying to project it from competitors.

If this is not a problem then how do we explain the fact that Maxwell Renderer still does not have a VectorWorks plugin available? Not only that but Allplan, ArchiCAD and Cinema4D (all products of NAG) all have plugins.

It's a real shame that NNA's apparent attitude with regard to RenderWorks restricts VectorWorks users in their choice of renderer, and in this case means we don't have the compatibility that nearly every other serious modelling app has with one of the best renderers in the industry.

It can hardly help VectorWorks' image as a serious 3D modelling app for it not to be supported by Maxwell either.

8 answers to this question

It doesn't appear to me that it was something changed in VectorWorks, but the plugin itself from the dialog.

I also don't see anything fixed internally that would change something in VW either.

Were you ever able to confirm from Advent where exactly the fix was made?

It was Abvent that sorted that particular problem out but that wasn't my point Katie. My point is, to me at least, it appears that NNA isn't exactly beating down the doors of 3rd party developers to ensure VectorWorks plays well with other rendering packages.

If RenderWorks didn't exist, for instance, I would hazard a guess that NNA would have an ongoing dialogue with the likes of Abvent and Next Limit Technologies to ensure maximum compatibility with their products.

But RenderWorks does exist and instead of Next Limit and Abvent being viewed as partners who can help increase the value of VectorWorks they're seen as a competitive threat who can decrease the value of RenderWorks.

I don't want to see RenderWorks spun off. I just want to see it compete on its own two legs and I want to be able to use VectorWorks with emerging technologies such as Maxwell Renderer.

The Allplan 2006 plugin is not developed or supported by NextLimit - it's third-party. (Archicad & Cinema4d plugins are developed by NL).

As an owner of Maxwell I can say that the thought of putting pressure on NextLimit to create a new plugin is not very realistic. They barely can update/support the plugins they do have.

Also note that there is no Maxwell plugin for ACAD: users have been clamoring on the NextLimit boards for that plugin for quite some time to no avail.

If you want a Maxwell plugin for VW, my opinion is the solution would be third-party via the Maxwell SDK.

Tim