Section - Working View

Taproot

Question

OK, I'm thrilled with the successful operation of so many of the things I've asked for over the last year or so. Snapping to Gray Layers works splendidly - Thank You! The "Stack Layers" view really works now and allows me to actually work in 3D - which due to a number of minor bugs I couldn't do in v. 12.0.

So, now that I see what VW is capable of in terms of snappable editable 3D working environments - I have a glimpse of what could in fact be possible:

Imagine a variation on Stack Layers where a defined "cut plane" could hide all of the model elements either behind or in front of it. The solids that were cut through would then poche' (similar to section viewports). In this way, you could finally work within a "live" section. The assumption is that if you moved an object up or down, the whole object would move (even though part of it remained hidden).

Ah yes, the holy grail ... the editable section. With the memory of the cut tool, the section viewport technology, and the functionality of "stack layers," this finally seems possible.

And if not ... well it's a "wish list" afterall.

7 answers to this question

To be fair Mike, Katie didn't say it was bothersome to have such a wish, she said it was bothersome to expect that any and every wish be implemented in the next version of VW, no matter how complex.

She even implies that development in this area is taking place.

I would second Matthew's wish though. It's a little more than simply adding wall components to live sections.

Yeah ... hooray for 'bothersome' ... mjw rarely misses the point ...as one of the most informed PowerUsers he's certainly got their attention ... the only questions is why does his post get to be labeled 'bothersome' while we all just get random corporate pallatives ; ) ... you gotta love Katie .. hey ... "sock it to me "