Door/Window Insertion

When inserting doors and windows into an exterior wall, example 2X4 with brick, how do you get it to insert properly with the trim around the framing only and not the brick. I have tried everything I know to try and have not found an answer searching the forum. Thank-you for your help to probably a dumb and easy question.

VW 12.0.0 (I haven't upgraded yet)

PowerPC G5, 1.8 MGz, 512 RAM

Jimmy Starrett

Edited by starretj

I've been using two walls when brick veneer is present. The exterior "brick" thickness is simply another wall object created with a class called "wall-veneer" with appropriate hatching upon creation (set class first as default before you draw). Your inserted windows and doors would affect only the structural-frame wall, trim and all.

A custom symbol for each opening size is then necessary to open the brick veneer to the extent of the window or door and trim (if you use PIO). It can be as simple as two loci for the 2D component and an unfilled 3D polygon for the 3D. Position along Z as required.

veneer2up7.gif

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Arch.Ken's drawing style, while interesting, isn't a familiar graphic standard to me. As to JStarrett's question, I'm not 100% sure what you're asking. I think you are asking, how to get the window jamb centered in the depth of the framing part of the wall? If that is it, you can do it by:

1. turn off the "use wall depth" option and set your jamb depth to something normal, like say 6-1/2" for a 2x6 wall; and

2. Use the "Offset in wall" setting to move your window until it lines up with the framing (usually 2"-2.5"). Now you can play with sill depths, etc., to get your window looking right.

Arch.Ken's drawing style, while interesting, isn't a familiar graphic standard to me...

Robert, I'm just another architect using the tool to show construction assemblies (in whatever brevity I can get away with), but as the architectural instigator of VA, your graphic standards and familiarity have a much greater impact.

I must ask, what would be familiar to you as full height brick veneer?

(FYI, imageshack.us is an easy-to-use image hosting service)

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

The graphic standard I find unfamiliar is the hatching on the sill. Normally I would expect to see it unhatched. Also, I would expect to see the line separating the brick veneer from the framing portion of the wall be lighter weight than the lines defining the "cut plane" of the wall. I know these aren't hard-and-fast rules. The wall styles in VWA12 and window offset (and component wrapping setting) should allow you to get the results you want with much less effort.

Robert, thank you for the graphic example. My confidence is now bolstered in PIO's in multi-component walls.

Indeed, a fully detailed veneer assembly at a window should look like yours. Although mine was a simple "asbuilt" drawing intended to show only two materials (where the actual sill was brick), it reveals many flaws in using two walls -- the heavy line between the two as you mentioned being the greatest.

Maybe I will abandon my window library after all... blush.gif