Invisible DTM

I need help purging an invisible DTM.

Help. (VW 11.5.1 on a G4)

I attempted to create a site model using 3D loci and ended up getting an error code (Misc. 20,2). I discovered I had some overlapping loci, and got rid of them after Cutting and Pasting-in-Placed the loci in a fresh drawing. Then I made my DTM in that file, then Cut and Pasted-in-Placed back into the original drawing. I DID delete the original DTM, DTM classes, and default mod-site-civil layer before importing the correct DTM. I also checked the resource palette to make sure there wasn't anything showing there.

But when I imported the correct DTM, it is listed in the palette as Existing DTM-2, and when I tried to rename it to Existing DTM, it says that name is already used, telling me that somewhere in the drawing is the original DTM attempt. I can not find it anywhere, whether in the Resource Palette, or turning all classes and layers on, selecting all, etc. I had to create the new drawing file with just the loci because I kept getting that error code which made me suspect that there was still DTM info somewhere in the file that I couldn't purge, and it just wasn't a matter of overlapping loci.

Any thoughts as to how to clean this up?

Start over with a new file 'C-Site'. Redo the DTM Loci and build the Existing on a D-Layer 'C-Site-Civil-Exst' or something. Then goto file 'C-Plan' delete any site symbols and use Work Group Reference to link the layer 'C-Site-Civil-Exst' to your active file 'C-Plan' . You can break link and import later if necessary.

I think you are correct that the file retains some vestiges of the original DTM object even after you've deleted it. I believe this may have been rectified in version 12.

Perhaps Robert would be of greater help since he is the expert on DTM, but in my experience I've had to recover the file by recreating every layer and pasting objects in to create a fresh file. The Workgroup referencing recovery technique might be a faster way to do this, but I haven't tried it.

PS, Islandmon gave his comment as I was composing mine, but he is basically saying something similar and probably more sophisticated.

Edited by P Retondo

robert

2 DTM questions, please.

what does the "update" button on the Site Model OIP do?

i was hoping it would allow me to alter the source polys

+ regenerate the Site Model, but apparently not.

do you have to re-create the Site Model each time you

adjust the source?

i asked this on the list, but didn't get a reply.

in 12.01 a site section of a Site Model using "real"

levels <90m relative to sea level> i get a section

box 90m high.

is there any way to reduce the 'scope' of the section,

so you dont have to go and edit the section manually?

if i change the Site Model object's Z value to -90m the

section box looks correct, but the spot heights are all

reduced by the 90m, so more manual editing required...

regards

gideon scott

1) the update button recalculates the changes from the site modifiers. If you want to change the source data, select the site model and run the menu command 'Edit Group'

2) This appears to be a bug that has been reported. To workaround you have to edit the two verticies that are at 0 height and reduce the size of the 'box'.