Discussion Forum

Thanks to all who responded to my inquires about rendering plasmas and screens. Having said that, although an all in one plug-in would solve all my problems and make life easier, not one question of mine was answered. I am trying to use Vectorworks to its full potential, and have found the manuals a bit lacking. Is this why there are so many extra support CD's, tutorials and the like, all at an extra cost? I know that programs take years to master, but at the end of the day is it about how many additional plug-ins one has? I thought that Vectorworks/wRenderworks was a complete solution to 2D working drawings with the added funtionality of a complete rendering package. If this is the case, then why are there so many discussions about starting in Vectorworks and ending in another rendering suite? As more and more of my clients expect 3D "lifelike" renderings as part of the sales pitch of the design, what is a reasonable workflow in Vectorworks? Start there and export to Maya, Solidworks, 3D Studio Max, Cinema 4d, or whatever else you have the time and money to learn? Don't mean to sound agrovated, only looking for solutions to working in Vectorworks and knowing what its limits are. Still, if you have time to answer any of my querries about plasma and video screens, open GL, lighitng sources, and the like, thanks!

There's an old saying ... "you get what you pay for". Truth be told the vast majority of clients have no need for "lifelike" renderings and are simply unwilling to pay for them. VW is superbly engineered and market priced to provide clients with working documents augmented with reasonably cost effective renditions of their projects.

Nevertheless, high-end rendering presentations are a requirement and VW offers numerous ways to export the project data to those other dedicated programs you mention. This conservative strategy is a proven win-win for everybody.

I do lots of 3D renderings and find that VW is more than good enough to give accurate renderings of buildings that clients enjoy. They may not always be photo-realistic, but then, the clients don't need a photo to understand the concept. VW remains a great value, and I don't have Cinema 4D or Artlantis or anything else (Photoshop Elements comes in handy for texture creation). I especially like the Quicktime VR panoramas .... great to view interior spaces and small file size makes them easily emailed.

PS: I went to an AutoCAD / Revit sales pitch yesterday, and much of what they raved about were things tha VW 12 already has.