Which 24" printer?

jquinn

Question

I just upgraded to VW11 Architect and Renderworks. I run on Mac G4 OS 9.2.2. I am looking for a good 24"x 36" architectural line. Do I need RIP, Post Script or Epson Fiery wire so rotated and flipped text don't get messed up? I've had recommendations both ways from vendors not users. I have looked at HP130nr and 110 plus nr and Epson 7600.

2nd Quedstion - I would like to upgrade to Mac G5 OSX. Would the printer still be good for OSX

5 answers to this question

Thank you. Any suggestions on what to include or not when getting a new G5? I do mostly 2d but have renderworks and want to explore dropping buildings into photos a little. I also think I would like to try a dual screen setup to get palettes off my dwg.

I was thinking dual processor. Not sure of which video card, etc. Thank you. Q

as much ram as you can get. 1 mb at least, get it separately from where you buy the computer for cheaper price. internet is best price. easy to install. When you buy the computer it comes with a video card. so anyother setup is extra. i personally do not like dual monitor setup. gets confusing going back and forth + alot of distance to cover. just get as big a monitor as you can afford. LCD monitors are supposed to drop in price up to 30% next year. the mid dual g5 is a great machine & best price / performance

I'm a little late weighing in here, but I second Kurt's opinion re the Epson. We've had such good experience in contrast with so much I've read here on this board. Epson's Pro dealers make a real effort to support the Apple community (unlike HP) and we've always talked to a live person whenever we needed to call Epson Cust Svc?twice in three years, I think.

We have several of Apple's Cinema displays, the big ones. Couldn't say enough good about them. Much easier to use than duals; you can show 11x17" at nearly 100% with full pallets and menus out of the way.

We have not yet purchased any of the dual G5s because VW doesn't take advantage of the second processor (unlike Photoshop) without the built-in help that Tiger (OSX.4, I believe) is supposed to supply. You'll note that I run 1.5mb of memory--that's where you need to put your resources, like KM said.

Good luck

Even though VWKS does not support dual processors it still is worth it because the machine just rips on other tasks. like the finder and other apple programs that you wil use every day. I also believe the print center too, such that working and printing at the same time goes fast & smoothly. So while you are working in VWKS, searching the web for info, having photoshop open, printing, multiple windows open on your desktop, etc, etc this is the way most people work these days and a dual processor is well worth it for those types of tasks.