Dockable toolbars in Mac OS X version

Christiaan

Question

One of the differences between the Windows and Mac versions of Vectorworks is the ability to "dock" toolbars in the Windows version, effectively creating one solitary window instead of many floating windows and toolbars.

I'm not sure if Mac OS X interface standards supports this in any way but floating toolbars and windows has always felt like a hindrance to me. I'm constantly adjusting them and losing them.

If there is no support for this in Mac OS X I'd like to see Nemetschek either implement a workaround or put a word into to Apple developers on our behalf.

Thanks.

5 answers to this question

While dockable palettes (not toolbars as I called them above) is something I'd expect in VectorWorks, I'd also be interested in a completely unified window environment (with tabbed windows for opened files), designed along the lines of Apple's pro apps GUI (which maximises screen real estate), such as Aperture:

http://www.apple.com/aperture/gallery/

Does Windows have a similar GUI framework for "pro" apps?

I have a 20" screen, and tend to manage my palettes without too much trouble (although I do have problems). You can see a screenshot here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:VectorWorks_12.5_on_Mac_OS_X.png

But this is another one of those wishes put forward partly from watching other people working with VectorWorks. It really blows me away how some people manage their palettes, and especially so how many times I come across someone without their Object Info palette open.

I'd also be interested in a completely unified window environment (with tabbed windows for opened files), designed along the lines of Apple's pro apps GUI (which maximises screen real estate), such as Aperture

While you're at it could also throw in a full-screen mode like Aperture's too.