Renderworks 12

propstuff

Question

As it's that time in the Product Cycle again where we start wishing for what we're going to get in the next version, I thought I'd put in a few.

Apart from the regular request for an "advanced" lighting option including Radiosity, HDRI, Depth of Field, Lights that "glow", Area Lights, Caustics, etc etc, here are some improvements to the current version that would be a big help.

Artistic Render Mode:

-Water Colour effects.

-"Hatching" that actually looks like hatching.

A "proper" Camera tool

Shaders;

-Better control; The Mirror and transparency controls (for example) are much too insensitive at the low end of their ranges. Something similar to the Light brightness with both a numerical and slider would be good.

-Noise would improve realism of renders

-Bump: more than 1 level of bump so that a broad, large scale irregularity can be applied as well as a fine level.

-Masking (as per transparency masking) that can be applied to the other shaders (specially Bump)

Rendered Layer Transparency:

-Having transparent backgrounds (fields) in rendered layers/ viewports so that different objects can be rendered in different variations and overlaid as can currently be done in placing a Hidden Line Viewport over a Rendered Layer/Viewport.

-Adjustable/ masked transparency of entire rendered layers -again; so that Layering can be done (see Photoshop layers).

There's no doubt more things I want, but that'll do to go on with. :-)

oop! just thought of another:

OpenGL renders that "accurately" reflect the lighting states in Final renders.

When lighting gets more than just basic it's currently impossible to judge lighting levels with the much quicker Open GL renders.

I'm not talking about textures or mapping here; obviously you need Final rendering to tweak them, but a quicker way of setting levels would be good.

cheers,

N.

[ 07-11-2005, 04:06 AM: Message edited by: propstuff ]

2 answers to this question

Here's an easy one: Can VW please put some more notation on their sliders, so that one know WHICH direction I'm supposed to drag in to increase/decrease an effect? A lot of the sliders have no notation about them at all. The same goes for scale entries. Scale, as I understand it, is the relationship in dimension between two objects. So setting a scale of 1 means relative to what exactly?