class problem

bonus

Question

VW 11.0.1:

In AutoCad "-" is used as a fillout in the layer(class) nameing. In VW "-" is used to organize classes in sub-menus(page 3-19). If more than two "-" are used in VW, you cannot move objects to these classes. These classes seem to be invalid when interchanging objects.

Is there a way to change the dash to another, preferrably unvisible keystroke, like "new line"?

6 answers to this question

I think I understand what you're asking, so here goes. . .

After the first two dashes "-", I generally resort to another typed symbol, say the backslash "\".

For example:

Wall-Int-Upper\Insul

Wall-Int-Upper\Firew

I hope that proves useful,

[ 03-23-2005, 08:29 PM: Message edited by: Travis ]

Surely you don't need to use all the imported classes. Perhaps you could just rename the ones you do need to move objects to. By renaming, everything already in that class stays there and with a more typical VW name, you'll be able to add objects.

(I rarely import Acad dwgs, so I haven't struggled with this specific issue.)

Good luck,

thanks both

I do import layers as classes - and renaming something like 120 classes...., all used ones?

If I just could find out how to group imported classes so the stay separated from my own I would be on the runway again.

Would be useful too if classes could be locked

so that purging would not delete them. Also - when opening the "class" window I would like to have a column showing how many objects each class contains, at least showing which ones are emty.

Wow, I really like your last two suggestions. A little more info re classes in that dialog would be very useful.

You can, by the way, generate a worksheet report that will list things by class/layer/etc. If you set it to sum based on class, you'd get what you're looking for. But it's not quite as convenient as you're wishing.