GET RID OF THE CACK HANDED DOOR AND WINDOW PIO LOGIC

mike m oz

Question

VectorWorks doors and windows frustrate the b... out of me.

Place a door or window on the page so you can edit it to what you want for placement in a wall, or to turn it into a symbol.

To see it from the front you have to go to a back view, and...

To see it from the back you have to go to a front view.

Ditto for left and right and the various isometric views - all opposite hand.

Whilst I assume the reason for this relates to the mathematical degree protocol - the in use logic is a nonsense.

THE FRONT SHOULD BE WHAT YOU SEE IN A FRONT VIEW! And so on?

A simple change to the PIO?s would solve this annoying logical conundrum and make the use much more intuitive (particularly so for new and novice users)

And yes I do realise that you can turn the PIO?s around after placing them so that you do see them from the front ? the point I am trying to make is that the program should be geared to the user?s logic and not the programmer's logic. The endeavour should always be to make the program as easy and intuitive to use as possible. The current door and window PIO logic is the antithesis of this.

3 answers to this question

quote:

Originally posted by mike m oz:

Place a door or window on the page so you can edit it to what you want for placement in a wall, or to turn it into a symbol.

To see it from the front you have to go to a back view, and...

To see it from the back you have to go to a front view.

It works properly for me Mike.

All views are what you would expect them to be.

N.

The only small issue I seem to have is mentally adjusting to the fact that the OIP defines the exterior of the door as the hinge side which is very rarely the case with my residential work. I know it is with commercial so I just have to adjust when specifying trim in the oip. No biggy. Otherwise it works ok for me too.... front is front, back is back. bc