VW works on M3 or M4 Apple chip ?

Since this is all about the future, and no one knows for sure, I ask for opinions ....   is it likely that VW 2024 will function correctly on a future Apple M4 chip running whatever OS happens to come with it ?

In my case, as a retired VW user who has a perpetual license of VW 2024 and it is the last version I'll ever have before I'm dead, I'm wondering if I should wait for the next Mac Mini with an M4 chip, or should I replace my late 2012 iMac right now.   That is, if VW 2024 won't work on the next Mac OS with an M4 chip, there is no reason to wait and see.

So ... any prognosticators out there ?

Pure guess, but if the M4 is released before September, I am almost 100% certain VW2024 will run on it.  VW is unlikely to not make sure VW2024 is running on the most current OS when VW2025 is released.

If the M4 slips to late spring 2025 AND the OS changes required to make it work are substantial it is possible/probable that VW would not fix the older version to work with the newest OS.

It depends on what Apple does with the next OS.

• Like 2

The Thumbs up from JuanP is probably the closest to an actual comment from VW on this.  VW Employees are not allows to speculate on unannounced products.

I as a volunteer can speculate all I want.

But my statements above are based on being a close watcher of what VW does since 1991.

On 4/30/2024 at 7:55 PM, domer1322 said:

So ... any prognosticators out there ?

I would wait for the M4 chip just to get the boost in horsepower.  

Something that has served me well since Minicad 1, is I never upgrade operating systems on a machine running my 3D programs.  I just sold one that was 7 years old and things were just fine.  Running VW 18 and C4D 20.

Nemetschek's interest will vary somewhat as they are the parent company to several applications, so big changes are not in their interest.

• 2 weeks later...