Wall closure and wall direction not responding properly

Archistyles

Question

Hi

I encountered a couple of issues:

1-Wall closure when set up (eg. round exterior edge) , the doors/windows when inserted do not yield the expected results (round edge)

2-When reversing wall direction (reverse sides in OIP) , the doors/windows do not flip to match the flipped interior/exterior side of the wall.

Can anyone confirm if this is a bug or this is a problem on my side.?

Thanks

6 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Archistyles said:

1-Wall closure when set up (eg. round exterior edge) , the doors/windows when inserted do not yield the expected results (round edge)

Do the Doors/Windows have 'Use wall closure' enabled in the PIO Options/PIO Style Options? Bit hard to diagnose without seeing your settings... 

1 hour ago, Archistyles said:

2-When reversing wall direction (reverse sides in OIP) , the doors/windows do not flip to match the flipped interior/exterior side of the wall.

In VW2024 Doors/Windows have an 'Interior Side' parameter which you can set to 'Right Side of Wall' or 'Left Side of Wall'. So what is 'interior' + 'exterior' for the Door/Window is now independent of the Wall direction. But all that used to flip before when you reversed the Wall direction was the sill/threshold. To change the Door swing or the whether the windows opened in or out you had to use the 'Flip' button.

In addition to 'Interior Side' in VW2024 you also have 'Swing Direction'/'Open Direction' + 'Hinge Side' parameters so this is where you set exactly how you want the Door/Window to operate. This can also be done interactively in the drawing using the blue controls:

Screenshot2024-04-30at22_09_08.png.8596dddf11142aa22be617b3e01102d6.png

The Wall direction doesn't come into it. It only affects the Insert Location for the Door/Window.

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Tom W. said:

Do the Doors/Windows have 'Use wall closure' enabled in the PIO Options/PIO Style Options? Bit hard to diagnose without seeing your settings... 

In VW2024 Doors/Windows have an 'Interior Side' parameter which you can set to 'Right Side of Wall' or 'Left Side of Wall'. So what is 'interior' + 'exterior' for the Door/Window is now independent of the Wall direction. But all that used to flip before when you reversed the Wall direction was the sill/threshold. To change the Door swing or the whether the windows opened in or out you had to use the 'Flip' button.

In addition to 'Interior Side' in VW2024 you also have 'Swing Direction'/'Open Direction' + 'Hinge Side' parameters so this is where you set exactly how you want the Door/Window to operate. This can also be done interactively in the drawing using the blue controls:

Screenshot2024-04-30at22_09_08.png.8596dddf11142aa22be617b3e01102d6.png

The Wall direction doesn't come into it. It only affects the Insert Location for the Door/Window.

Thanks Tom

1-Yes , door/win object is set to use wall closure. basically , if I draw any simple unstyled wall , and set wall closure to round edge, when I insert door/win , with "use wall closure" checked , nothing happens. I contacted VW support and they seem to acknowledge that it is a bug.

2- I understand the use of flip button and blue controls . however according to the following  tutorial from Vectorworks University , changing the wall direction will flip the windows , which I think makes sense since  interior and exterior are flipped : https://university.vectorworks.net/mod/overview/view.php?id=5686

You can fast forward to 1:40. 

Weird that I don't get the same result when I do it on my side with same VW 2024 version.

Thanks again for the reply.

Edited by Archistyles
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, Archistyles said:

1-Yes , door/win object is set to use wall closure. basically , if I draw any simple unstyled wall , and set wall closure to round edge, when I insert door/win , with "use wall closure" checked , nothing happens. I contacted VW support and they seem to acknowledge that it is a bug.

Strange. It works for me. The only time it doesn't work is if the Wall has no components. In fact, removing the component from a single component Wall that uses Wall Closures results in a crash, as does attempting to add a new Wall Closure to a zero component Wall.

Obvious question: have you set a radius for the round shape type...? 

3 hours ago, Archistyles said:

2- I understand the use of flip button and blue controls . however according to the following  tutorial from Vectorworks University , changing the wall direction will flip the windows , which I think makes sense since  interior and exterior are flipped : https://university.vectorworks.net/mod/overview/view.php?id=5686

You can fast forward to 1:40. 

Weird that I don't get the same result when I do it on my side with same VW 2024 version.

Ok that's interesting! Thanks for posting the video. Perhaps something changed with the more recent Updates. I only started using VW2024 properly from Update 4. It kind of makes sense to me for it to work the way it does now, as I described above (the Wall direction + Door/Window interior/exterior side being independent of each other), as it gives you complete control over what's happening with the Doors/Windows, so perhaps this was a modification that was added after the video was made...? Or it could be a bug like you say. @Matt Panzer will have the answer!

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
7 hours ago, Tom W. said:

Strange. It works for me. The only time it doesn't work is if the Wall has no components. In fact, removing the component from a single component Wall that uses Wall Closures results in a crash, as does attempting to add a new Wall Closure to a zero component Wall.

Obvious question: have you set a radius for the round shape type...? 

Also make sure the radius is small enough to fit between the outer edge of the wall and the door/window jamb.

7 hours ago, Tom W. said:

Ok that's interesting! Thanks for posting the video. Perhaps something changed with the more recent Updates. I only started using VW2024 properly from Update 4. It kind of makes sense to me for it to work the way it does now, as I described above (the Wall direction + Door/Window interior/exterior side being independent of each other), as it gives you complete control over what's happening with the Doors/Windows, so perhaps this was a modification that was added after the video was made...? Or it could be a bug like you say. @Matt Panzer will have the answer!

The behavior shown in the video was a bug that was resolved for VW 2024 Update 4. Tom's explanation of why is correct that the new handing controls keep inserted doors and windows independant from the wall.  While there are cases where one might one or the other behavior, the current behavior was chosen because it is the most logical.

• Like 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
6 minutes ago, Archistyles said:

Thanks @Tom W. & @Matt Panzer

The issue with round closure is the radius . it is greater than the door/window distance from the outer edge of the wall.

And thanks for clarifying the wall direction confusion. 

You’re welcome!