Having "Max Power" & "Typical Power" requirements for Devices

When talking to a system integrator, the discuss came up on having a distinction between "Max Power" and "Typical Power" for a Device.

When specifying their power needs to the contractor or architect, they are often caught in a discussion about the power that a device needs during startup, or a, for instance LED Panel, which can draw a certain amount of power when in full intensity white (aka "Max Power") and the power that a device needs during normal operation.

Would others also see the benefit of distinguishing between "Max" and "Typical" Power?

Thanks in advance 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, R_Teunissen said:

When talking to a system integrator, the discuss came up on having a distinction between "Max Power" and "Typical Power" for a Device.

When specifying their power needs to the contractor or architect, they are often caught in a discussion about the power that a device needs during startup, or a, for instance LED Panel, which can draw a certain amount of power when in full intensity white (aka "Max Power") and the power that a device needs during normal operation.

Would others also see the benefit of distinguishing between "Max" and "Typical" Power?

Thanks in advance 

Absolutely yes. In some areas of the company (the events side more than the installation side), we actually consider three values - base, average, peak. Base power would be a moving light sitting idle, i.e. what it would require on a generator if overnight at a festival. Then average is True RMS measured of normal operation and peak is whatever the manufacturer rates it at. A typical fixture might be 0.1A-4.6A-6.6A. We have a separate calculator that helps estimate LED video real world power.

Audio amplifiers are another complex one - the maximum theoretical output power seems academic as the amplifier will be limiting itself before then. It's often accompanied with 1/3rd power (-5dB) and 1/8th (-9dB) power when stating likely mains current demand, so stating one of them (depending on the likely program material for the installation) as well seems much more helpful.

It helps other contractors with all sorts of things - cable sizing, protective device sizing, generator configuration etc.

I would agree with a 'maximum power' field and then a 'typical power' field. It could maybe have an optional drop-down to select a few standard references of what the typical is based on - 'typical use', '1/8th power', '1/3 power', 'full white frame' or something.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

@R_Teunissen @spettitt

Well it's something to think about... and of course there's absolutely nothing stopping you from adding an extra Advanced Power record to your model.

I'm not sure if we should complicate ConnectCAD with data that is rarely available on manufacturers spec sheets. They are rather coy about inrush currents in my experience. More often than not the designer will have to "guesstimate" or actually go measure these values. Although in theory this would be great to have, where are we going to get the data from?

C

Posted (edited)

Agree totally to the idea of both values.

In my case i am often dealing with led modules and there is often a great difference between 100% brightness in white color and the typical daily usage.

But in addition the auto btu calculation needs to know which value has to be taken in account .-)

Edited by bjoerka