Lighting Position Worksheet

Hi, 

I am looking to create a worksheet that shows what fixtures are in each lighting position. I would like the position to be shown once and then show the fixtures below. I have managed to get the worksheet set up like this: 

image.thumb.png.80de59ca56e58905638454bb05097905.png

But really need something like this.

image.png.8260ed6be74898c411d3bee2a17f00ba.png

Any help would be appreciated 

I can only think of two ways to accomplish this.  One is relatively easy, but has a manual component. The second requires a fairly sophisticated script to "interleave" the fixture database rows between the Position Rows.  And I don't think it will let you put the first fixture on the same row as the position name.

For the manual option, either user one of the User Fields or attach a custom record the the first Fixture in each position and manually enter the Hanging Position into that field for the first fixture.  Then in Column A, use the field that only has data from the first fixture.

For the scriptable version, you will need to write a script that will work with the DatabaseByScript function for the criteria of the database.  The script will have to handle all of the sorting as part of the script as you will not be able to Sort of Summarize the data in the scripted database. The idea would be to script adding a row for the position, then rows for each of the fixtures. Repeat the above for each position. Not especially hard but it can get tricky to make sure the sorting is correct.

If you want more information on DatabaseByScript, let me know.

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Pat Stanford said:

I can only think of two ways to accomplish this.  One is relatively easy, but has a manual component. The second requires a fairly sophisticated script to "interleave" the fixture database rows between the Position Rows.  And I don't think it will let you put the first fixture on the same row as the position name.

For the manual option, either user one of the User Fields or attach a custom record the the first Fixture in each position and manually enter the Hanging Position into that field for the first fixture.  Then in Column A, use the field that only has data from the first fixture.

For the scriptable version, you will need to write a script that will work with the DatabaseByScript function for the criteria of the database.  The script will have to handle all of the sorting as part of the script as you will not be able to Sort of Summarize the data in the scripted database. The idea would be to script adding a row for the position, then rows for each of the fixtures. Repeat the above for each position. Not especially hard but it can get tricky to make sure the sorting is correct.

If you want more information on DatabaseByScript, let me know.

By only adding the position to one fixture in the User field, the worksheet will then only show that one fixture and not the rest of the fixtures that actaully have that position. 

image.thumb.png.23d37d108aefcceb9b2458954fd73049.png

Column A is looking at User Field 1

Edited by JamesB1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

3 hours ago, JamesB1 said:

Please post a sample file showing how you used the User Field or a custom record mentioned above. It'll help us explain how to get where you need to be.