Texture Single Face tool is not working VW 2023

MGuilfoile

Question

I posted this before, but it was on an old thread. I am revisiting this problem with a new thread and uploading a file this time (which I should have done the first time.)

It is a problem that persists on and on: the single face tool places textures on adjoining faces. Not all of them, just some. I am attaching a file created in VW2023 SP7. The texture placed on the face that has the word "Sponsors" will also run across the curved top and down to the other side. There is no way to place a texture map on just one of any of those three faces. The same thing happens on other extrudes (or any 3D object) but turning the corners instead. Sometimes it works fine. This is a problem across all of my files, every day, with every version of VW2023. I really need this to be fixed...plus bring back perimeter mapping. Any advice? If you do not see this problem with this file, then does anyone know how I can repair my particular installation of VW? I'm also attaching what I see in the OIP with this file. At present, the tool cannot be used, so I'd love to figure this out.

Thanks for any advice!

MH Brown

Test File OIP.JPG

TEST file for troubleshooting.vwx

5 answers to this question

Does no one have an idea as to why the Single Face Map tool is not working for me? Has anyone tried it on the file I uploaded here?

Thanks for any help. It really is annoying that I can't use this tool (especially in the absence of perimeter mapping.)

Thank you,

MH Brown

Hi Bart.  Thank you for your great tip. You are correct in that VW sees my shape this way...and it is dead wrong. That is the base problem. The thing is, my shape DOES have a top, bottom, and four sides and VW can't see it. I actually do convert my objects to 3D polys as a work-around, at which point Vectorworks has no problem discerning the shape correctly: it breaks it down into the curved top, bottom, and four sides. If it sees it as a six-sided box when converting to 3D polys why can't it see it as a six-sided box when I'm using the Single Face texture tool? Well, sloppy coding is generally the answer. This is a classic software bug with a new tool and it needs to be fixed. After all, converting it to 3D polys means I can't fillet the edges, add solids, or, in fact, do anything to the object. Turning it into a group of 3D polys is, in short, a dead end. What I want is for the tool to work properly, no excuses, no workarounds.

Thank you again for answering. I'm hoping that someone from VW will chime in on what they are doing about it.

MHBrown

@MGuilfoile In the spirit of troubleshooting I think I found another dumb "workaround."

First, I noticed that if I double-click your shape to edit the original polyline, delete it, draw a rectangle, and exit the Edit solids. I get the same behavior: Applying a texture to a single side applies the texture to all sides. 

However, and here comes the dumb part,  if you select your Solid Object, tick "Use Material", then untick "Use Material", and then set the Overall texture back to None, the texturing of individual faces works as expected. 

What is frustrating is that if I edit the solid, copy the polyline, exit the edit, paste the polyline, and then extrude the new polyline to create a new solid, it works as expected. 

Perhaps this can help narrow down the bug. 

Thanks for the experimentation! I've noticed similar behavior in other operations. I think some of the objects get complicated histories and just need a kick in the head at some point. I appreciate the tip. I will definitely use it!

MH Brown