design layers same size page as viewport

Hello ,

I'd like to work on my project and see how it will appear on a A3 page (size I chose for the viewport) without switching every time to viewport. 

Basically I'd like to  set the same page for design layers screen and viewport. I tried to set the same page (please see pics attached) but it still looks different. 

Thanks for your help! 

design layer.JPG

viewport.JPG

Change your design layer scale to match the viewport scale.  Then, from the viewport, enter the design layer.  It will ask you if you want to place a representation of the viewport on the design layer (it’s just a green rectangle you can change with the attribute panel).

that will give you a pretty good match with your sheet layer in terms of viewport spacing.

• Like 2

Thank you

4 hours ago, Jeff Prince said:

Change your design layer scale to match the viewport scale.  Then, from the viewport, enter the design layer.  It will ask you if you want to place a representation of the viewport on the design layer (it’s just a green rectangle you can change with the attribute panel).

that will give you a pretty good match with your sheet layer in terms of viewport spacing.

Hi Jeff, thank you very much for your reply. Would you please guide me through the 'from the viewport enter the design layer'? thanks again!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Ema Gia said:

Thank you

Hi Jeff, thank you very much for your reply. Would you please guide me through the 'from the viewport enter the design layer'? thanks again!

Sure, it's easy.

Go to your sheet layer and double click on the viewport.

The Edit Viewport menu appears, set it like this:

ScreenShot2024-03-05at13_07_28.thumb.png.de080534f58093d20f9ed7b11afbb850.png

You will be transported to your design layer and will see a big green rectangle which represents the extents of the viewport.

ScreenShot2024-03-05at13_07_35.thumb.png.593d92375dd5bb9d3f093c956b622bcd.png

You can then change the rectangle's graphic appearance to suit your needs.

One other thing you can do from a design layer viewport to get a sense of the paper size is to use Page Setup while in a design layer and select "Show Page Boundary".

The reults can be seen in the image below... basically stops your grid at the extents of the page, which might be a good visual cue.

ScreenShot2024-03-05at13_14_38.thumb.png.6438b301d1971ccd0e6561c6579fded3.png

• Like 3

It’s a super handy feature, but . . .
When using the Edit VP option for Add Reference Crop Object, remember that the option remains checked next time the Edit dialog is opened. As long as the option is enabled, a green rectangle will be added to the design layer EVERY time a design layer is accessed via the Edit Viewport dialog. Result can be a bunch rectangles from different VPs which may then be visible in other viewports and likely need deletion.  Or, a stack of rectangles will accumulate from repeated access via same VP. Delete one, and the rest of the stack remains, which can seem like the delete failed. Suggest be aware, or better, open the dialog again and uncheck the option until needed again.

-B

• Like 2