Christie Truss Type B 60º Link bars

Please see the attached images. Whenever I try to create a T intersection with a 60° link bar the link tries to snap on an angle. And while I can straighten it out, it does not connect to the other two trusses. If I select system objects to run brace Work, the other trusses will not be connected. How can I make this work?

Screenshot 2024-02-29 at 7.38.05 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-02-29 at 7.39.37 PM.png

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

This won't work with autoconnect or Braceworks. The issue is that the 60° bar is set up as a standard 2 way corner, not as a 3 way T-corner.
You could in theory create a new symbol defintion to do this but I'm not sure whetehr it would deliver valid braceworks results.

Posted (edited)

I appreciate you getting back to me. it makes sense that BraceWork would need to calculate these sticks as individual runs. I really need to be able to do it the way I am, just for proper spacing when we get to a job site. This is for an expo and I am picking up some curved signs.  Is there a workaround where I can get proper spacing? This is a challenge many designs use a configuration similar to this.

Edited by ChrisSterman

@ChrisSterman I would make a copy of the symbol and change it from a 2-way corner into a 3-way T. You'll have to move the geometry inside the symbol to have it align to the cords. You might play with making into a Custom item. I've not tried this. 
image.png

Years ago, I made some custom-angled corners and made a video that might be helpful. It shows info on how the L1, L2... measurements work.

• Like 2

It can be done. You just have to set it up like a T-Corner. I made this exact symbol as a special request for a huge touring company several years ago. If I can find it I will attach it here, I think it took me less than five minutes to duplicate the existing symbol and set it up to be a T and it did work with Braceworks.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Scott C. Parker said:

@ChrisSterman I would make a copy of the symbol and change it from a 2-way corner into a 3-way T. You'll have to move the geometry inside the symbol to have it align to the cords. You might play with making into a Custom item. I've not tried this. 
image.png

Years ago, I made some custom-angled corners and made a video that might be helpful. It shows info on how the L1, L2... measurements work.

Sorry, many people started Slacking me and I got disrupted. Here is a file with the T-Link set up to make a T-Corner. I ran a Braceworks calculation as well and it worked. The only tricky part is when you auto connect to the perpendicular portion you are hovering over empty space to find the auto-connect line but it can be found. I found it was easier to hover over the link itself or turn on the Insert Points class to find the loci.

Christie Lites Type B T-Corner.vwx

23 hours ago, ChrisSterman said:

Thanks again Scott. I have been so stupid busy. I watched your YouTube video while driving from Fort Myers to Orlando 4 mile an hour traffic for 35 minutes.  but this is great stuff. I am really appreciative of you and Justin. The Braceworks keeps getting better and better. I paid for it for three years and didn't like it at all and the last two 2 1/2 years. I've been really liking it. I feel like I'm getting my money is worth out of it now..  

• Like 1