Selection Box / Snap Box Issue

Anyone else having a problem in which the Selection Box / Snap Box gets disabled for unknown reason? It switches to just a cursor arrow (with imprecise selection). It doesn't matter which file I'm working on. I find I have to restart VW to get it working again. Not good for productivity! Hopefully this is a known issue and will be fixed in next SP release! A guy who helps me out and has similar setup (machine and S/W versions) said he's seen same problem.

21 minutes ago, Skia_D said:

Thanks, Jeff. I have never ever in 25 years of working with VW experienced this issue, regardless of whatever Class or Layer control setting I was using. Why now?

So was that the issue?

It's pretty easy to accidentally put yourself in "show others" mode.  It's especially annoying when you do it to a Class because it just doesn't seem to register with most people that it could be a possible issue.  It has been happening to my clients for years, I probably address this on a weekly basis during coaching sessions.

Vectorworks quirks 🙂

I'm almost always in Show/Snap Others for Layers, and Show/Snap/Modify for Classes, so no accident. Again, never had this issue before. Perhaps what's different in my cases are one of the visible layers is a pdf with "Snap to Geometry" on and/or a visible layer being a site model generated for a point cloud(?) I've done the former plenty over the years, though. Using point cloud data is newer, but not that new. I've done similar processes for at least two prior versions of VW.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm back. Waited to see for sure if that was the issue, Jeff. It is definitely not. I know there's a way to do a video of my workspace to demonstrate the weird behavior, just haven't taken the time yet to remind myself how so I can post here.

1 hour ago, Skia_D said:

I know there's a way to do a video of my workspace to demonstrate the weird behavior,

On a Mac, if you use the Key's Shift>Command>(the Number 5) holding them all down, you will activate the option to record your screen, part of screen or a picture, etc.

I have also experienced the same issue as Skia_D since installing VW2024, never before.

I loose the ability to grab objects by the snap handles (cross cursor) and just get the scale cursor (arrow). Sometimes I can use the arrow cursor to grab an object by the midpoint, or close to a corner, and snap that way so it's not like snapping is completely disabled, I just can't grab objects precisely. This happens with objects on the same layer and class. This happens several times each day, sometimes the program start working normally again after a little while, sometimes I have to restart it.

Another snap related issue in VW2024: The object snap sometimes disables itself for unknown reasons (grey icon in the toolbar), a colleague has also experienced the same, works normally after re-enabeling.

2 hours ago, JoarL said:

I have also experienced the same issue as Skia_D since installing VW2024, never before.

I loose the ability to grab objects by the snap handles (cross cursor) and just get the scale cursor (arrow). Sometimes I can use the arrow cursor to grab an object by the midpoint, or close to a corner, and snap that way so it's not like snapping is completely disabled, I just can't grab objects precisely. This happens with objects on the same layer and class. This happens several times each day, sometimes the program start working normally again after a little while, sometimes I have to restart it.

Another snap related issue in VW2024: The object snap sometimes disables itself for unknown reasons (grey icon in the toolbar), a colleague has also experienced the same, works normally after re-enabeling.

Yup (though I haven't noticed the latter, probably because I use key commands for almost everything). A colleague of mine who's on this board and has almost exact same H/W & S/W setup as mine told me he's seen the issue, too.

What's your setup, JoarL?

Hi, Jeff. No time right now to post a file and won't be able to for a week. Heading out your direction as a matter of fact to visit my sister. Meanwhile, though, could you please clarify something? Initially you said what you saw happening all the time with your clients was them "accidentally put[ting themselves] in "show others" mode. Now it seems you're suggesting something else completely different as happening all the time. Is it that both things happen all the time? And, when you suggest it's "something in the file" what might one look for to determine this?

Again, this is completely new behavior, so I am puzzled as to why if it's a common issue I have never seen it before in nearly 25 years of using VW?

Meanwhile, as I am having to quickly wrap up a project before heading out—a file which I hadn't touched since working on it in VW23 and which had no problem then—I have so far in 5 minutes had to restart VW24 twice because of this glitch. 

Most of my files were started in VW2023 or earlier so I am not sure i can produce a file with the behaviour. Today, when it happened while working on an older file I opened a file created in VW2024 and the behaviour carried over, after closing the files and creating a new one the snapping was back to normal. Could this be memory related?